Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lincoln School War Memorial

Graham-McAdam

I am researching the men listed on the War Memorial of the former Lincoln School and have found a few problems. Can anyone easily find any answers? I have, of course, checked the CWGC site, but I don’t have ‘Soldiers Died’

1 C Atkinson. Sgt. in RF. Said to have died of malaria in East Africa.

2 R Cannon. Nothing else, even in school magazines, where most of my information has come from.

3 A Taylor. Sgt in RAMC (TF). Died 1914

4 F Walker. There are two Lincs Regiment Freds on CWGC (13.10.15 and 26.2.17), but nothing to connect either with the school.

I don’t know what either RF or TF means. Anyone know?

I suppose 4 mysteries out of a list of 48 on the memorial might be par for the course. Isn’t it amazing that the school mag didn’t bother to put in more detail in their lists of old boys not returning. I guess all four are common names, so all the more reason for a bit of help with identification at the time.

I’m also looking for T J Adamson; JEMEC Leask !; AW Martin all from WW2 – no other details.

I don’t know what either RF or TF means. Anyone know?

RF I would say is the Royal Fusiliers and TF is Territorial Force.

I've looked on SDGW-CD and have found the following names which might be of use to you:

71802 Cpl Matthew Thomas Atkinson. Royal Engineers.

Born: St. Swithins, Lincs

Enlisted: Lincoln

Residence: Worcester

Died: East Africa 8/01/18

Formerly: Signal Depot, RE.

301269 A/L/Cpl Alick Taylor. RAMC (TF)

Enlisted: Aberdeen

Died of Wounds: 15/4/18 F&F

512497 Pte Arthur William. RAMC (TF)

Enlisted: Chelsea, SW

Residence: Diss, Norfolk

KiA: 3/5/17

52974 Gunner Robert Cannon. RGA

Born: Chesterfield, Derbyshire

Enlisted: Sheffield

Residence: Chesterfield

KiA: 27/7/16 F&F

204685 Pte Robert Cannon. 6th Bn Loyal North Lancs

Born: Hulme, Lancs

Enlisted: Manchester

Died: 9/11/18

India

11600 Pte Robert Cannon. 6th Border Regt

Born: Whitehaven, Cumberland

Enlisted: Whitehaven

KiA: 9/8/15. Gallipoli

S/10955 Pte Robert Cannon. 2nd Bn Gordons

Born: Kirkcudbright

Enlisted: Aberdeen

Died: 12/10/17. F&F

12995 Pte Fred Walker. 2nd Bn Lincolnshire Regt

Born: Sibsey, Lincs

Enlisted: Boston, Lincs

KiA: 26/2/17

220 CSM Fred Walker. 4th Bn Lincolnshire Regt

Born & Enlisted: Lincoln

KiA: 13/10/15

241931 Frederick Charles Walker. 5th Bn Lincolnshire Regt

Born: Bethnal Green, Middx

Enlisted: Hackney, Middx

Residence: Dalston, Middx

KiA: 11/4/17. F&F

43686 L/Cpl Frederick John Walker

Enlisted: Bletchley, Bucks (1 mile from me!)

Residence: Winslow, Bucks

KiA: 22/3/18

Graham.

I've just taken a look on the "Army Roll of Honour 1939-45" (the WW2 equivalent of SDGW).None of your WW2 soldiers are listed ,apart from 1 possibility .

T.J.Adamson - surprisingly, none listed. (No T.Adamsons either).

J.Leask - 4 listed, all Scottish.(No J.E.M.E.C. Leask's mentioned).

A.W.Martin - quite a few (68).Most from London area or Scotland. However, there was a W.A. Martin (Nr.5824683, Cambridgeshire Regiment, Born Lincoln, Resided Northants., Died 14/2/1942 in Malaya).

The list (like SDGW) is just Army casualties. They may have served in one of the other forces.

Dave

Graham,

As someone who has been carrying out a similar exercise for several years, with a lot more basic information (e.g. a listing of all 700 boys who are known to have served with regiment, ship etc) I can confirm that you have a short list of queries! Three of the dead on our war memorial are not even commemorated by the CWGC and one has stubbornly defied all identification. Our World War II roll of honour, though shorter (46 as opposed to 97 names) has proved more problematic due to the lack of a similar list and the fact that several wartime issues of the school magazine are missing from the archives. I have also found that the World War II dead had tended to move about the country more than the previous generation and so many did not have obvious 'Bury' linjks in their CWGC private details etc.

If you can get hold of the archives of local newspapers these should be a great help-particularly if the paper produced a summary 'Book of Honour' during or after the war. Most of our boys got quite lengthy obits and accompanying photos in the 'Bury Times'. The main problems I have found are the migraine-inducing spooling through endless reels of microfilm and the difficulty of deciphering the entry when you locate it. You can't copy photographs from microfilm-they end up as black smudges. We have managed to get hold of the original copies of the paper and are digitally photographing the obitiuaries but it's a slow process and the original papers are VERY delicate. Some boys of course did not live in Bury itself and so can be found in the pages of the 'Heywood Advertiser' etc. Some local papers in our area have disappeared since and their archives apparently with them. The Bury Times did start a 'Book of Honour' series but lost heart after 1916. Bury Archives say that they plan to make digital copies of the papers.... when they get a massive lottery grant!

Graham,

With regard to C. Atkinson, if he was Royal Fusiliers at died in East Africa, I would suggest he belonged to the 25th Battalion, The Frontiersmen.

It seems to have been quite a well known unit, perhaps someone out there has a nominal roll for the battalion.

Jim

Thanks very much everybody. I've spent the afternoon at a hot microfilm reader of the Lincs Echo, and had a jolly interesting time. I'll let you know if I manage to confirm anything