Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Guest confusseddotcom

Guest confusseddotcom

On researching my family tree I have found my grandfather’s war service record but it has given me more questions than answers! He signed up in the 12th Royal Welsh Fusiliers on 29th August 1914 in Shotton, Flintshire but was then discharged on 21st October 1914 having served only 54 days. The reason noted was “… not likely to make an efficient soldier. Para 392 (iii)c Kings Regs.” I’ve looked this up and understand the possible reasons for discharge.

What confuses me is that on his son’s birth certificate in 1916 his occupation is stated as “Sergeant 12th Royal Welsh Fusiliers Ironworker”

He certainly was an iron worker both before and after the war, but I can’t believe that he made sergeant in 54 days and I can't find any record of him signing up again.

Any help welcome.

If you can supply his name / number someone may be able to find the file and comment on what it says.

Two observations meanwhile: first, yes he might have had accellerated promotion if he had previous military service. The "Kitchener" battalions were eager for experienced men to teach the raw beginners. The 12th Battalion was a reserve unit and never went overseas. It was used to train recruits, though in October 1914 that meant just about everyone!

Second, the description on a birth certificate is that supplied by himself or usually a close relative. It wouldn't have been questioned by the Registrar even if inaccurate.

Clive

Guest confusseddotcom

Many thanks for your reply.

I'm not aware that my grandfather had previous military experience but there again, I know very little about him.

I do know that he was Andrew Joseph Hynes and his service number was 12746 and dob 14.10.1889.

It was his wife that registered the birth of their son - my dad. Find it hard to believe that she may have told porkies, but who knows.

Any further help will be most welcome.