Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt William Bagshaw RWF

PFF

• 2 years later...

Found this interesting BBC article about William Bagshaw's WW1 wartime POW experience, see:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8309408.stm

His full handwritten diary [see Key extracts and PDF] is a fascinating read.

Please does anyone have more info on this chap - especially Service Number - so as to be able to check for more info e.g. SR and/or MIC etc.

Charlie962

Thanks for your interest and quick reply

Copy and paste into your browser and it should work or enter William Bagshaw BBC into Google.

Article says "Royal Welsh Fusiliers" - that of course is one thing sought to check.

Charlie962

Excellent link you provided.

Think have found the man.

Cheers!

Yes, I think William Thomas Bagshaw fits well. Sgt, RWF, Capture 10 Apr 1918. I found the BBC article from 2009 googling as you said

post-119876-0-61470900-1463941626_thumb.

post-119876-0-35057400-1463941671_thumb.

post-119876-0-65222400-1463941684_thumb.

post-119876-0-56790000-1463941699_thumb.

Charlie962

Charlie962

Thanks very much again for your most recent reply.

Yes - seen those ICRC/CICR images - helped me find his 1901 & 1911 Census from the address, hence his family members and pre-war occupation (Sinker Hand [what ever one of those was/did] in a silk works - at age 14).

But not the image of the repatriation list - Now wondering where that list is found/from?

And/or how to find other such lists.

In hope ...

Matlock1418

His ICRC card has the handwritten 'Rap R 52136' where Rap = rapatrié = repatriation. Type instead of PA 37542 type in R 52136 and up comes the record.

It may well be possible to scroll up or down within this and find other repatriation lists.

Charlie

edit I've tried scrolling back and yes there are other pages and dates. I then took one name off one of these sheets at random 13851 Axworthy TJ 12th RF

His ICRC card exists with a couple of PA references but no R ref. Thus there may well be a lot unindexed ??

Charlie962

Once again many thanks for this guidance and help with interpreting these records.

You obviously have a lot more experience on these records than me [obviously!!! ;-)]

But I am learning!

13851 Axworthy TJ 12th RF - ah yes, those wonderful missing links/loose ends!

:-)

Matlock1418

JulesW

Thanks for your replies - we've gone full circle as that is where I started - sorry - probably should have mentioned!

As a newcomer [today] I certainly now know the forum system works - if not yet fully got the hang of using!

:-)

Matlock1418

• spof changed the title to Sgt William Bagshaw RWF