Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Award of the Belgium Croix de Guerre

Paul-B

I have tried everything I know to see if the following soldier was awarded the Belgium Croix de Guerre:

M2/021400 Cpl Thomas Cunliffe ASC. He died 20 October 1918.

Is it possible he has the medal without it being published in the London Gazette?

Many thanks to anyone who could shed some light on this for me.

Paul

Welcome to the forum, Paul. Perhaps it would help if you told us what you already know that leads you to think Cpl Cunliffe was or may have been awarded the Belgian CdeG.

Thank you for your welcome.

I purchased his trio some time ago and the CdeG came with them.

Have you tried local papers from his home area, Paul? Mind you, that could be quite a tall order as the date could be almost any time during, and perhaps even after, the war. The Belgian CdeG comes with a written citation, probably accompanied by an English translation, but I take it you don't have any documentation.

CdeGs were awarded directly by the Belgians to a comparatively small number of men of other nations who distinguished themselves while serving with or in close proximity to Belgian units, and were otherwise distributed to Belgium's allies on a reciprocal/fraternal basis to be awarded to men deserving of recognition, but who (generally) did not qualify for one of their own country's medals. Often awarded posthumously to men who lost their lives gallantly in circs that fell short of the criteria for the VC (other British gallantry medals not being awarded posthumously at that time). Do you know where and how Cunliffe died? If the CdeG was awarded in recognition of some gallant action at the time of his death, the announcement of it may have come some time after the end of the war.

"The Belgian CdeG comes with a written citation, probably accompanied by an English translation"

I have a group to a Royal Engineers officer who was awarded both the Belgian Order of the Crown and also the Belgian Croix de Guerre. I wonder if it is possible to obtain a copy of the citation for his C de G or indeed his Order of the Crown? I know that the London Gazette shows nothing more than a list of names, etc., but I wonder are there records held somewhere, such as in Brussels?

Both awards are in their original boxes with his name embossed on the lids and also 'Dixmude 1917', these awards are both recorded in the London Gazette of 25/7/18 on pages 8726 and 8728. Sadly he was killed in action on 12/6/18, prior to the gazette date.

Any help or suggestions welcomed.

Robert

Your man is evidently one of those who received Belgian awards directly from the Belgians in recognition of some exploit or service in their sector of the front, Robert. I'm afraid I don't know whether it's possible to find Belgian CdeG citations in Belgian archives. Perhaps Eddy (Cnock) or Foreign Gong knows. I do recall that a large proportion of Belgium's military records from the Great War were carted off to Berlin by the occupying Germans in 1940 and were then carted off to Moscow in 1945 by the victorious Russians. In both cases, one has to ask 'Why?', but I do not know the answer. Anyway, the Russians returned something like 16 container-loads of records a few years ago, but I don't know whether they have been sorted out yet.

Your man is evidently one of those who received Belgian awards directly from the Belgians in recognition of some exploit or service in their sector of the front, Robert. I'm afraid I don't know whether it's possible to find Belgian CdeG citations in Belgian archives. Perhaps Eddy (Cnock) or Foreign Gong knows. I do recall that a large proportion of Belgium's military records from the Great War were carted off to Berlin by the occupying Germans in 1940 and were then carted off to Moscow in 1945 by the victorious Russians. In both cases, one has to ask 'Why?', but I do not know the answer. Anyway, the Russians returned something like 16 container-loads of records a few years ago, but I don't know whether they have been sorted out yet.

Many thanks Mick. I suppose that I was hoping that you may have had some experience of searching out citations for the Belgian C de G., etc.. I shall start a thread regarding this, on the off chance that there is some information to be found out there--or is it still in one of those 16 mysterious and much travelled containers?

Robert

Really interesting Mick.

I live in Brussels and will be attending a function very shortly where I may have the opportunity to ask about the returned WW1 records. They also have a massive war museum just up the road from where I live. Could be worth a visit!

I shall keep you and Robert posted.

Paul