Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Belt Buckles Please

derekb

Good Evening,

I have bought a small collection of British military belt buckles; all with the exception of the bigger Cheshire Regiment one in the photograph are roughly the same size as the smaller one.

Is the Cheshire's buckle World War 1, or can anyone explain the difference in size?

Thanks and regards,

Derek.

post-18694-0-59851100-1382555507_thumb.j

Hello Derek,

The smaller buckle was designed for wear with the Slade Wallace equipment and was standard for the Boer War, although it did see limited service in the Great War.

The large buckle, I don't know, it appears almost big enough to wear on the Mills pattern webbing belt, but I somehow doubt it and the use of numerals was already long obsolete. Maybe it is much earlier than 1881, but again I just don't know so I won't guess.

khaki

The Cheshire Regiment tended to use the number a lot, even up to amalgamation in the 90's, so the 22 might not be a deal-breaker in setting a date.

The Cheshire Regiment tended to use the number a lot, even up to amalgamation in the 90's, so the 22 might not be a deal-breaker in setting a date.

Amalgamation in the 90s? The 00s when they became part of the Mercians I think you will find. :)

But yes, they certainly did use their number a lot; I agree with Steven (apart from the date of their amalgamation)

Nineties. Noughties. Whatever. :thumbsup:

I think the larger size of the Cheshires buckle may be to fit a stable belt ?

They used "22nd" a lot because they had dodged all amalgamations until they finally disappeared into the Merciless Regiment. Affiliated to the Van Doos for obvious reasons.

Affiliated to the Van Doos for obvious reasons.

No, missed it. Do tell ... large French-speaking population on The Wirral, perhaps?

I think the larger size of the Cheshires buckle may be to fit a stable belt ?

They used "22nd" a lot because they had dodged all amalgamations until they finally disappeared into the Merciless Regiment. Affiliated to the Van Doos for obvious reasons.

The Van Doos have always tried to come across as somewhat macho but I find it very difficult to take someone seriously who has a beaver for a cap badge. :whistle:

No, missed it. Do tell ... large French-speaking population on The Wirral, perhaps?

Cheshires - 22nd Regiment of Foot.

Van Doos - Royal 22e Regiment.

Geddit ?

Not exactly "Only Connect" material.

The Van Doos have always tried to come across as somewhat macho but I find it very difficult to take someone seriously who has a beaver for a cap badge. :whistle:

. . . . and a goat as a mascot. They just don't care what we think, do they ?

Cheshires - 22nd Regiment of Foot.

Van Doos - Royal 22e Regiment.

Geddit ?

Not exactly "Only Connect" material.

Sorry, my French stops at Pontoon.

• 4 weeks later...

The 22nd Cheshire) Regiment buckle (waist belt clasp) is modern used through the 80's and 90's and until they became 1st Battalion Mercian Regiment (Cheshire) on 1st September 2007 at Tamworth.