Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

N. Fusiliers & DLI - who did he enlist with

ss002d6252

I have a conundrum with this man and hope someone can help:

250069 Joseph Ward enlisted to the 6th DLI on 16 April 1912 and was discharged on 28 Nov 1917, aged 38, according to the SWB rolls.

Posted overseas on 20 April 1915.

His MIC indicates he was also with he N.Fus overseas as 90354.

I'd usually be pretty confident he was a 6th DLI men originally as his 6 digit number fits with a man who had enlisted in April 1912.

The problem I have is that the MIC does not, for some reason, give a pre 1917 DLI number.

Does anyone know when when the N.Fus. number dates from and/or find another MIC for the man ?

A 6th DLI number from April 1912 should be a 15XX or a 16XX number,

Thanks for any assistance.

Craig

His disembarkation date is consistent with 1/6th Bn DLI (TF) which started landing on 18th April 1915 eventually becoming part of 150th Inf Bde 50th Div, disbanded on 9 Nov 1918.

Edit: The challenge is that four TF battalions of the Northumberland Fusiliers landed on the same dates and served in the same 50th Div in the 149th In Bde (1/4th, 1/5th, 1/6th, 1/7th Bns Northumberland Fusiliers) and disbanded on 10 Nov 1918.

I have a conundrum with this man and hope someone can help:

250069 Joseph Ward enlisted to the 6th DLI on 16 April 1912 and was discharged on 28 Nov 1917, aged 38, according to the SWB rolls.

Posted overseas on 20 April 1915.

His MIC indicates he was also with he N.Fus overseas as 90354.

I'd usually be pretty confident he was a 6th DLI men originally as his 6 digit number fits with a man who had enlisted in April 1912.

The problem I have is that the MIC does not, for some reason, give a pre 1917 DLI number.

Does anyone know when when the N.Fus. number dates from and/or find another MIC for the man ?

A 6th DLI number from April 1912 should be a 15XX or a 16XX number,

Thanks for any assistance.

Craig

He was definately transferred from 1/6th Bn, DLI to the NF, but never served overseas with them. Most of these high five figure numbers are given to men from the Depot prior to their Discharge and as you can see the numbers themselves were issued between March & November 1917, but I can't be more precise than that. On top of which it isn't certain whether or not he actually served at the Depot prior to his Discharge, simply because his state of sickness/wounds is unknown and so he may have left directly from wherever he was at the time.

I'm not familiar with DLI six figure numbering, but if it follows the same pattern as the NF, then all of the older pre-war enlists were numbered first within the new block belonging to the Battalion.

Thanks Graham, that would be why I couldn't find much for N.F. men with those numbers.

I'm not familiar with DLI six figure numbering, but if it follows the same pattern as the NF, then all of the older pre-war enlists were numbered first within the new block belonging to the Battalion.

The 6th DLI men were re-numbered in date order (with only a few exceptions) which is why I suspected he was an' original' - the number, in sequence, would have been allocated to a man who enlisted between #250068 on 12 April 1912 and #250071 on 26 April 1912 - this would give him an original number between 15XX and 16XX, match the SWB enlistment date, but I can't find it.

I have a run of 39 men who enlisted between the men #250068 and #250071 - some of these men are accounted by either transferring, leaving the T.F. pre war or were discharged pre 1917 but 21 of them remain unknown. It would appear Ward is one of these.

Craig

Hi,

You need to check the NF 14/15 Star roll which should give his regimental number when he entered France.

The ref number on the MIC 01/11C/347 is a reference to the NF rolls as the DLI are 01/21/Page Number. I checked the DLI page 347 and that covers service battalions.

regards

John