Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

B2 Boots

Tinlid1418

can any one give me info on repro B2 boots. ie who supplies the best ones, the price and availability, also of course quality and how close to the real thing?

What treatment to apply Boot Polish, Dubbin, etc?

Do you mean the B2 or B5 boots? There are a number of suppliers of the latter, but as far as I am aware there has been no good supplier of the former for a number of years.

No B2 supplier since the Ross ones years ago

Sorry my error. It should be B5 Boots.

If you want the best get your wallet ready, but you won't regret:

http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/

At the bottom of the listing on the LHS you'll see B5 Boot. Tell them I put you onto them but I doubt they will discount!

David

If you want the best get your wallet ready, but you won't regret:

http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/

In the interests of fairness, I will also point out that Soldier of Fortune does an £80 pair of knock-off copies of the Lennon B5's, but the quality suffers as a result. If you only need "posing" kit they would probably suit your needs. If you want properly made and constructed boots that will keep your toes warm and dry under trying circumstances and last a long while then Lennons are unbeaten. I have a pair of Lennon B5's, and they are simply the best boots I have ever owned:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/ww1-brown-ankle-boots-product,12445

There is also a second-hand/lightly used pair of Lennon B5's on Ebay at present, starting at £100 and with no bids at the time of writing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-Brown-Boots-Size-9-Re-enactment-/121198187708?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item1c37f994bc

No B2 supplier since the Ross ones years ago

Technically, Andy Burke sells what he calls B2's. But as they are clearly not based on an actual pair of B2's I lump them into the "no good supplier" section.

It looks as if i will have to go for the Lennon B5. A few of my mates have also suggested these.

I will have to wait until; my wallet can take the hit.

Thanks for all your help.

Ed

Tinlid1418, I can see you're in the south of the country, but if you ever fancy a break in The Peak District then not only do I just happen to have the idea holiday cottage for you - about 10mins drive from Lennons, (might as well get that one in!) but Lennons as a business is well worth the visit. They don't do guided tours as a norm, but I feel sure they would not mind giving a genuinely interested customer, who has troubled to call in, a look-see at how they actually make the boots concerned. Because the site is so old and established, its like slipping back in time.

Dave

• 2 months later...

Why did Lennon start making the B5 pattern over the B2. Was it ease of manufacture? Both patterns would sell in droves.

They had the patterns and lasts for the B5 but not the B2 although from what I have been led to believe they actually supplied the parts for the previously mentioned Ross versions? Wm. Lennon are a very long established boot & shoe maker who happened to be one of numerous other businesses who made the B5's during the war.

David

Why did Lennon start making the B5 pattern over the B2. Was it ease of manufacture? Both patterns would sell in droves.

I have always understood one of the reasons for the adoption of the B5 to replace the B2 was that it was easier to manufacture, being of a pattern much closer in style to those that were already widely being made and sold commericially by allowing a greater use of machinery in their production. Presumably, even after 100 years that is still the case.

Hi all,

has Ross boots gone out of business or is he just not making B2 boots anymore. This would be a great shame as I have had a couple of pairs for 10 years and both pairs are going strong although I have had a pair clumped. I also managed to source a large supply of the flat hobnails which Ross boots originally used. If anyone wants any of the hobnails please let me know.

Regards

Dave

Khaki Devil are agents for William Lennons and sell B5 boots for the same price as Lennons.

The only advantage is that Khaki Devil hold a stock of ready made boots so that you can avoid the three moth wait.

If the size is in stock the boots can be delivered the following day if the buyer is prepared to pay for fast delivery.

Lennons current price is £182.95 per pair.

...so that you can avoid the three moth wait...

(insert generic wallet joke) :whistle:

I have ordered a pair from lennons, I got a very good response from them. They ask for your actual foot measurements so that they can make a proper fit.

Designer shoes eh.

They suggest using Dubbin on them (Clear, Brown, or Black, Im not sure which is suitable) any ideas?

when i get them i will give a little report,

Ed,

I have ordered a pair from lennons, I got a very good response from them. They ask for your actual foot measurements so that they can make a proper fit.

Designer shoes eh.

They suggest using Dubbin on them (Clear, Brown, or Black, Im not sure which is suitable) any ideas?

when i get them i will give a little report,

Ed,

Ed, bit of a shame you didn't go direct to Taff as I'm sure he could have sent you a pair straight away. As regards dubbin, it rather depends what you want to do with the boots. If they are for display as part of a collection, then if you want to present a smart appearance I'm tempted to suggest you just polish them black. If on the other hand, you want to break them in and give them that worn appearance, first of all, prepare yourself to do some serious walking, these boots are made for walking, as they say! In the field, the primary concern would be to keep them as dry as possible so it's my belief any old dubbing would have been applied regardless of colour, and they would have darkened naturally with the conditions they found themselves being worn in.

This might be a good opportunity to promote these boots for anyone who might just be looking for a real quality pair of outdoor boots. I think the jaunty hiker of the 1930's will make a comeback in 2014 and the scrape of hobnails on rock and tarmac will become more common, although I'm not sure if Taff supplies his with nails added or not.

David

Used clear dubbin on mine for years and after lots of use they've darkened to a very, very nice dark shade

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think i will try clear dubbin and try to get the natural worn in look, it might take some time but i think will be worth it.

In my local the sound of hobnails is not uncomon (quite a few WW2 re-enactors around) myself included.

My local bootman is a dab hand at Ammo boots.

Ed,

Boots B5 arrived from Lennons quicker than expected., Excellent quality, fully studded, very comfortable, i am realy pleased with them, ishall wear them in a bit then apply clear dubbin. full marks Lennon.

Person to talk to at Lennons is Libs she is very good and knows her boots,

TTFN

Ed,

Delivery is so swift, that suggests they are now holding stock of the popular sizes. They are made in batches as a rule and unless they have fallen very quiet after Christmas, I very much doubt they will have made just one pair to special order.

David

I am now looking for the correct pattern of toe plates to put on boots for that finishing touch.

Ed.

• 2 weeks later...

After a week of wearing they are fitting realy well and bedding in nicely. i keep forgeting they are studded (ooops to the parquet flooring).

They were made to suit my foot size, not of the shelf.

I will bed them in a bit longer then apply some clear dubbin.

Havent found toe plates yet, but looking at period pics very few seem to have used them.

Well pleased with them.

Ed

I've posted pictures of what they look like on the forum before. The manufacturers of the WWII type who supply Lennons could make them but there would be a cost involved in setting up to make them. Lennons were not interested having them made due to the initial outlay I think- Granville has asked before. They do turn up at old fashioned cobblers if you can find such a near extinct beast- and have also turned up on eBay. This has been talked about in previous threads if you search for "boot toe plates". Also hard to find the short tacks that you need to fix them to the boots. Regards, Paul.

• 4 years later...

With regard to the SOF B5s, I have been pleasantly surprised with how long they have lasted once they were treated and broken in. No studs lost but I added toe plates. Just the annoying tongue of leather under the laces which you have to negotiate when putting them on, ensuring it lies flat and doesn't curl under on itself. Then loads of dubbin ( I use black sports shoe waterproofer for football boots )and the occasional coat of Lord Sheratons leather balm. Obviously not as good as Lennons but an acceptable cost-effective alternative to get started.

• 9 months later...

I have just had a pair of B2 repro boots made up by a trader in Pakistan and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality - very well made and comfortable. I supplied photos of an original boot and my foot chart and 3 weeks later, bingo ! A pair of boots. £75 inc. p&p by DHL. They came "in the raw" and needed a bit of work with dubbin, etc. The studs are not right but easily sorted. Miles better than QMI and Andy Burke's.FB_IMG_1548873184373.jpg.0e09cee7575804fa5faaf7c7ddf74eac.jpg

FB_IMG_1548873175703.jpg

received_372218863330985.jpeg

received_2522574284436792.jpeg