Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Bttn. Rifle Brigade War Diary

David Ingleby

Researching another of my soldiers from the Northamptonshire village of Weedon Bec, I have looked at the war diary of the 3rd Bttn. Rifle Brigade in TNA.

For the period in question (July 1915) it takes the form of an "Historical Record" and is more akin to an officer's personal and fairly general diary. It does not have daily entries, rather a general paragraph about a period of time that could cover 6 months or more.

Is there anything more detailed available?

My soldier, Rifleman Edward Clarke (9629) was killed in action on July 10 1915. All that the official "diary" states is that the battalion arrived at La Brique trenches in June 1915 staying there for 2 months. "After a month or so at La Brique when we had had more shelling that most of us cared about, we should all have been glad of a change to any other part of the line. Such names as FORWARD COTTAGE, CROSS ROADS FARM, HILL TOP FARM will ever remind us of something unpleasant".

The next paragraph starts "on July 26th........"

Is there anything that will tell me more about any action that saw my guy killed on July 10th?

Thanks as usual for any thoughts.

You might get more from 17 Infantry Brigade HQ War Diary.

Hi David,

Unfortunately the 3rd RB Diary is about the worst of all the RB Diaries, the regular RB diaries are not the best.

I am afraid that the Brigade HQ Diary leaves a lot to be desired also, see attached page from the 17th Brigade HQ Diary (WO95-1612) and yet the other Brigade HQ diaries in the Division are a lot better with maps included.

As only 1 man was killed on the 10th I think it is likely that he died in the normal day to day wastage in the trenches.

Andy

post-1871-0-86972500-1382445505_thumb.jp

Andy and Sotonmate - many thanks for you help.

Welcome David, I am sorry that we cannot help a little more. Will check the Divisional HQ Diary for you but I do not think there will be anything more.

Andy