Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery digitisation query

MaureenE

On a recent blog on the FindMyPast website, in the comments section underneath the article, someone asked on 20 October 2013

When can we expect to see the royal artillery tracer cards and enlistment books? I was told by the librarian at firepower museum that they have been with FMP for a while now being digitised, am keen to view these records.

The reply given by a FMP employee was

We’re making good progress with those, make sure you are subscribed to the newsletter and you’ll get news on that soon!

Does anyone know what dates these records cover, or know anything more about this project?

Cheers

Maureen

Information on the British Medal Forum indicates they will be available by the end of the year.

Maureene,

Please excuse my ignorance, but what would be on a tracer card?

I’m sorry John, I don’t know what would be on a tracer card, or even what a tracer card is. I don’t know anything about these records, other than what I originally quoted, which is why I am hoping someone on the Forum does.

In view of the fact they are being released close to 2014 probably means that some, or most, or all the records relate to the Great War.

However, I am also interested in other periods, so would like to know just what the coverage is, both in terms of years and also units

Perhaps we'll all need to wait until they are released at the end of the year, as indicated by rflory, when there should be more information.

Cheers

Maureen

I've seen a few tracer cards for men who served in the Second World War and indeed Palestine after the war. The contain various bits of information such as the date they enlisted, when they moved between units, and sometimes details such as wounds etc. It really all depends on the individual, but I must add that tracer cards do not survive for all men.

I have also seen tracer cards (and casualty cards) for the RAC. These are again very handy where they survive.

Johnnie

I believe the books are renumbering books rather than enlistment and therefore will only cover gunners who were in service in 1920 when the entire regiment was renumbered.

Mark