The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Great War Society

karenlr

Hi Ladies & Gentlemen

Just wanted to share with you a couple of photos of my son Joe

He joined the Great War Society three years ago (He will be 20 in a couple of days time)

They go all over as a living history group. recently he was at the Tower of London

They often do events at Stow Maries aerodrome in Essex

They have to live as near as possible to how the soldiers lived and eat foods that they would have eaten then

He has to have his hair cut short and is up and doing drills early in the mornings

He has saved hard to buy all his uniform,webbing & kit it certainly hasnt been cheap

These photos were taken by an amateur photographer at one of the events he attended

He really enjoys being part of this and he certainly appreciates all his home comforts and 'Easy life' when he comes home

The other men really look after him and he enjoys the camaraderie.

when I look at the photos I get shivers just thinking nearly a hundred years ago it would most certainly have been for real.

I,m so proud of him I hope you dont mind me sharing this on your web site

Karen

post-80768-0-64623700-1382381357_thumb.j

post-80768-0-99987500-1382381358_thumb.j

Sorry eveyone Ive already posted this before I meant to put them on another military site

I do apologise sincerely!

Karen

No apology, but I'm going to move the topic to the "Chit-Chat" sub forum as it isn't a centenary issue particularly.

Keith

No apologies required karenlr, and thanks for sharing those (actually, quite atmospheric) pictures. He obviously takes it seriously, and I hope he continues to enjoy himself with the reenacting side of things for a good while to come.

Clive

• 2 weeks later...

Karen, I hadn't seen your previous post and am so pleased you posted the photographs again. It is good to know young people like Joe have an interest in the Great War and as you have already said, nearly a hundred years ago these photographs would certainly have been for real. Thank you for sharing them and you are right to be so proud of your son.

Regards, Anne

Great pictures. Nice to see a lad of the correct age doing this

And waistline :whistle:

They are really good photos. Good luck to him. Can't wait to see him when he manages a walrus for the top lip!

I have to agree. I am not a champion of re enactors, however in this case haunting image of how an innocent recruit would have looked circa 1915 / 1918.

TT