Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire fusiliers

LUCIE

I am trying to research my grandfather 's service in ww1. He was born in Blackburn and his name is John Eddleston born 1895. I know that he was in the fusiliers regiment but that is all the information I have been able to glean from online sites without having to subscribe. He did return from the War and set up as a master grocer in Blackburn. I know that he was in Northern France as that is where he met my French grandmother in Meteren.

Can anyone help with advice or even further info to assist me in my search ? I do not know which battalion he belonged to or even what his actual role was during his time in France.

Thanks.

Hi Lucie

Welcome to the Forum,do you have any other information on your lad ? address,mother or fathers name ? I can see no John Eddleston in the Fusiliers in the medal cards but there are one or two lads from Blackburn and other lads in Lancashire Regiments who have service records so any other information will help.

I think that your post may be better in Soldiers than units & formations.

Gary

I am trying to research my grandfather 's service in ww1. He was born in Blackburn and his name is John Eddleston born 1895. I know that he was in the fusiliers regiment but that is all the information I have been able to glean from online sites without having to subscribe. He did return from the War and set up as a master grocer in Blackburn. I know that he was in Northern France as that is where he met my French grandmother in Meteren.

Can anyone help with advice or even further info to assist me in my search ? I do not know which battalion he belonged to or even what his actual role was during his time in France.

Thanks.

Hello Lucie

There is an army document showing John Eddleston signing up on 26th Aug 1915. His occupation at that time was Motor Driver Grocer. With an address of Thomastona Place, Saunders Road, Blackburn (on 1911 census his address was 17 Chatburn Street) . A Service number of 119432 is recorded. I also note from Ancestry that a child Harry was born on 3rd Aug 1918 with his wife's maiden name as Copin. Is that likely to be him?

Unfortunately the information on his Service Record is difficult to decipher but I would think he was in the Army Services Corps (Mechanical Transport). His record shows him marrying Lucie Fulma Copin on 16 Aug 1917. There is note of a disability claim made but I cannot decipher.

Hope something there that is new.

Kevin

PS just realised the link of your Name to your Grandmother

Lucie

The image below could help. It looks like the ASC was 560 Coy but I have not found who they were attached to

Kevin

unfortunately removed - Kevin

Another part of a record sheet. Just found that 560 was "Formed November 1915. Ammunition Column for 35 Siege Battery RGA. Did not exist after April 1916."

Kevin

unfortunately image needed to be deleted

Thanks so much to all for your replies. I am really glad that I was directed to this forum. Yes my grandfather married Lucie Zulma Copin in France. She fled to England when Meteren was bombed and was pregnant with my uncle Harry!

You mention a disability claim...is it likely that my grandfather was injured?

This is so interesting:)

Lucie it looks as if your grandfather had Influenza and this caused Bronchia or Broncho Pneumonia,he was in hospital from 07/03/19 until 22/04/19.

Gary

So that must have been when he had returned to England after the war?

If he was part of the Army Services Corp, what type of role would he have been likely to hold?

Also Kevin refers to Siege Battery RGA....could you please explain what RGA stands for? ( sorry but I am not familiar with some of the terms)

Thanks.

So that must have been when he had returned to England after the war?

If he was part of the Army Services Corp, what type of role would he have been likely to hold?

Also Kevin refers to Siege Battery RGA....could you please explain what RGA stands for? ( sorry but I am not familiar with some of the terms)

Thanks.

Lucie

When first arrived in France John is likely to have been a driver. The ASC Motor Transport matches his background as a driver when a civilian. A group photo of another ASC Coy is on show here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ltmuseum/9404922923/in/photostream/

To establish what he did in France may not be so easy. Your research of 560 Coy will be a good starter but only until April 1916. Transport support for 35 Siege Battery is another source to investigate. Your reference to Lancashire Fusiliers may show that his ASC Coy joined one of their Battalions at some point but if you Google Lancashire Fusiliers you will see that they were numerous and farflung. The next step would be to see which Division his Coy was part of and then trace that Divisions War History. The problem is that as the War progressed there was much swapping and changing so be prepared to run into a dead end.

I had a look at his medal card and confirm that his regimental number is definitely 119432. The record shows Victory Medal awarded with RASC/101B followed by 82. I am not sure what that means. There was a 101 but this was linked to Trains:

http://www.1914-1918.net/asc.htm and was part of 14th (Light) Division. This may be a red herring but it may be worth following through. The Divisional history makes no mention of the presence of Lancashire Fusiliers:

http://www.1914-1918.net/14div.htm

Kevin

EDIT looking further into RASC/101B I understand that this is no more than a reference to the entry in the medal index.

Thanks Kevin for all this information. It is most useful. I have had a browse of the links and I do feel that John was in or around Arras or Flanders areas. I will perhaps pursue the line of enquiry with regards to the division. I have found a painting of him which shows him in uniform. He would appear to be wearing goggles pushed up onto his cap. His cap seems to have a star? shaped badge in the centre.

Thanks again.