Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant Lincs Regiment DCM search

Myrtle

I am researching an elderly friend's uncle who was killed while serving with the 1st Btn. Lincolnshire Regiment on the 17th December 1915. He had previously served with the South Wales Borderers but went overseas with the Lincolns on the 13th August 1914.

He was awarded a DCM but I have been unable to find a relevant entry in the London Gazette. Has anyone with 1st Lincolns knowledge come across this man ?

I have the details from the Lincolnshire Diary for 17th December 1915, which states that 1 OR was killed that day.

Sergeant Walter William Fitch DCM

Service number: - 7650

Born: Chelsea, Mddx.

Formerly 8889 South Wales Borderers

"For conspicuous gallantry on 1st November at Wychaete, where he took out a reconnoitering patrol under heavy fire and located the enemy's trenches."

London Gazette 17th December, 1914

Hope this helps

Sepoy

NB You can download the DCM Register covering his award from the National Archives, free of charge, at the following link
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details?Uri=C2970512

It is in Gazette date order, but there is also an index

L/Cpl W Fitch 1st Btn

Conspicuous gallantry on 1st November at Wychaete, where he took out a reconnoitering patrol under enemy fire and located enemy trenches.

London Gazette 17.12.1914)

Sandie

I also noticed that sadly he had been killed on the same date a year later.

One of his younger brothers was also killed when HMS Defence went down at the Battle of Jutland 1916.

Thank you for the photograph link.

Here is his Medal Roll which includes his DCM and promotion to Colour Sergeant.

LMR1465_zps6f57d4bd.jpg

Looks like Mr. Fitch joined the 1st Lincolnshire at the end of November, 1905 to February, 1906.

No mention of his service with the Welsh Boyos as it looks like it may have been pre-1905.

The Medal Rolls generally only list the wartime service units.

Is it possible he served with the SWB, left the service and rejoined aunit closer to home.....such as the Lincolns who had recruited in that area?

There are many men from the London area who served throughout WW1 and joined at a similar time with close service numbers.

Bingo794

Thank you very much for posting the medal roll.

The 1911 census shows Pte. Walter Fitch at Kirkee, India with the 1st Lincolnshire Regiment.

The transcription reads as follows:

1/Lincoln Regiment

Detachment 1st

Lincolnshire Regiment, Kirkee, India

Interestingly when I opened the census image the next name on the list with the Lincolns at Kirkee is Albert Fitch, 25 years old. Walter Fitch had an older brother named Albert of the same age, however on the 1901 census his place of birth was listed as Soho whereas the place of birth on the 1911 census is Bow. Do you have any information that would clarify if this was Walter's brother ? Albert's middle name was John.

Interestingly when I opened the census image the next name on the list with the Lincolns at Kirkee is Albert Fitch, 25 years old. Walter Fitch had an older brother named Albert of the same age, however on the 1901 census his place of birth was listed as Soho whereas the place of birth on the 1911 census is Bow. Do you have any information that would clarify if this was Walter's brother ? Albert's middle name was John.

There's a service record on Ancestry for a Albert John Finch- number 7239 with the lincs. Enlisted on a 3 and 9 service enlistment on 26/9/1904 although he remained on active service until 31 Oct 1912 so must have stayed on rather than going to reserves after 3 years. There's a note which seems to indicate he extended his service to 8 years.

In June 1911 he was in India.

Wounded on 13 Sep 1914 and discharged on 24 Dec 1914.

Craig

Thanks Craig

I just found the service papers (damaged) while you were posting. They show that Albert Fitch was discharged as he had his right leg amputated following a gun shot wound to his right thigh at the Battle of the Marne 9th September 1914. The file contains a letter that he sent to request a Silver War Badge.

It seems as if he and his brother Walter both served with the Lincolnshire Regiment. The papers indicate that Albert enlisted at Lincoln although I know that the family were Londoners. He may have been in that area for work.

Just looked at Albert Fitch's MIC and I am now wondering why he doesn't appear to have a 14 Star recorded. Wouldn't his service from 25.08.14 until he was wounded on 09.09.14 have entitled him to a 14 star ?

The 1914 Star was issued for service between 5th August to 22/23rd November, 1914.

Casualties from the initial stages of the war were issued the medal. There is no length of service criteria given (like on certain medals like NI GSM states 28 days contiuous service in theatre....or something like.)

There are a couple in my collection, one wounded and one KIA from the same period who went on to recieve the 14 Star in 1921 & 25. One being similarly left out by administrative blunder.

I would just put it down to an administrative ommission.

By the time the medal was institued, it was 1917.

R

Bingo794

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't think that there was a length of service criteria for the 14 Star so it is good to have your confirmation on that detail.

What started as a conversation with my elderly friend has escalated. Walter Fitch had 10 siblings and so far I have found that two of them were killed in action during WW1, another was seriously wounded during the same conflict and two of the eldest served in the Boer War in addition to the Great War.

Bingo

If by any chance you come across any relevant photographs of the Lincolnshire Regiment brothers, Walter and Albert, please let me know. It is seems that the younger members of the family went into Barnado's care during the early 1900s so there aren't family photographs available.

Just found No.7650 Pte. W. Fitch attached to 'H' Coy manning for 1st Battalion, in a 1912/13 Old Boys Association page. Based in Portsmouth.

No mention of Albert, however.

RW

RW

Thanks for letting me know but please explain what "manning" means. Also why based in Portsmouth ? Is that where the 1st Btn. was based ?

Albert Fitch Medal Roll

LMR1412_zpsd7b8861b.jpg

R

'Manning' is what it implies....I suppose.

A list of 'H' Coy personnel....

R

The HQ for the 1st was based in Portsmouth, from I think 1880/81.

R