Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Strange photo. Is this a real soldier or someone in the theatre?

erica236

I have this old family photo of a soldier with a dummy and have no idea who it is!

Can anyone identify the uniform? I am assuming it is WW1.

Could the soldier possibly have been an entertainer for the troops?

I have another photo of George Hall's "Merry Japs", one of whom looks like a family member!

Does anyone know anything about this group?

Thank you in anticipation.

post-102529-0-54016800-1382366475_thumb.

post-102529-0-72546800-1382366719_thumb.

Erica

Well the first photo is definitely WW1 but I cannot work out the cap badge being worn on the glengarry by the right hand chap - possibly Royal Scots???

The dummy (on the left) is wearing a wound stripe and long service stripes with 12 to 18 years service. He has also signed the pledge (unusual for Scottish ventriloquists dummies!) and is wearing a 6 year Army Temperance Association Cross; a "For Kulture" propaganda Iron Cross; and possibly another Temperance Medallion. From his ruddy complexion, he looks like a drinker though!

I cannot help with the second photo.

Cheers

Sepoy

Erica

Well the first photo is definitely WW1 but I cannot work out the cap badge being worn on the glengarry by the right hand chap - possibly Royal Scots???

I cannot help with the second photo.

Cheers

Sepoy

The second photo could be his 'fan club'

khaki

I think it could be Fred Milburn!

I googled him and found he performed in Leeds in 1914 which is where my family lived.

Maybe they just saw the show and bought a postcard (did they do that in those days?)

The family does have Scottish ancestry so who knows!

Thank you for the suggestion.

But were any members of The Merry Japs ventriloquists?

There were at least two (civilian) troupes called The Merry Japs. The one appearing at Morecambe (and other places) under George Hall, and another earlier group under a lady called Marie Santoi (who probably took her stage name from a popular Oriental musical written in 1899). They often appeared in variety, and I have seen both groups sharing the same bill with separate ventriloquists' acts. That's not to say The Merry Japs didn't have a vent in their line-up, but why would theatre managements engage additional vent turns for the same show?

Thanks Kate,

These are definitely George Hall's Merry Japs and the picture was from Morecambe.

Don't think there is any connection with the ventriloquist - just found the two pics in the same box!

Is there any way of finding out individual names? (I know I'm clutching at straws!)

The man on the right must be a family member as I have another picture of him in ordinary clothes which has obviously been in a frame at some time.

Thanks for your help.

• 6 years later...

Here are the names of George Hall's Merry Japs in 1915: 

MERRY JAPS

George Hall [Proprietor]

Walter Hume [Director] [15]

Harry Lawrence [Musical Director] [15]

[New Pavilion, Blackpool, 8/15]

Dorothy Bred [Soprano] [15]

George Hall [Humorist] [15]

Islor Raine [Soubrette & Speciality Dancer] [15]

Jock McIver [15]