Remembered Today:

Trench map

Guest kruger

Can anyone help me with a scan of a British and/or German trench map of the Zonnebeke area, September - October 1917.

I am researching the 10th Brigade, 3rd. Division of the AIF, who took part in the battle of Broodseinde Ridge (3rd Ypres), on October 4, 1917.

Any information, photos, etc. will help and is much appreciated.

These two should cover the area you seek (Sept.1917).

1.Romulus and Remus Woods upto Hill 40 (Windmill Hill)...

Dave.

post-14-1096064975.jpg

...and (2) Hill 40 up to s'Graventstafel.

Dave.

post-14-1096065644.jpg

Dave,

Would you also be able/willing to help with a map showing Polygon Wood, on or before September 26, 1917 ? I am trying to track the movements of the Australian 5th Divison in this area.

I would much appreciate it. Thanks.

Robert ;)

Would you also be able/willing to help with a map showing Polygon Wood, on or before September 26, 1917 ?

14th September 1917...

post-14-1096416383.jpg

G'day

I have taken copies of Dave's trench Maps. THanks Dave. My key interest is Black Watch Corner & it took a long time to be able to visualise the lay of the land. Despite BWC being wrongly marked on this 'map' it may add something to your visualisation of the area.

Pat

post-14-1096447757.jpg

This might also help to visualize the area with the maps and images above.. What you and I might call a ' ridge ' is not what Broodseinde and Passchendaele are.

Aye

Malcolm

post-14-1096458653.jpg

Robert

Because you raised the matter, I also have some extra pieces for the Jig Saw.

Thanks also to Dave & Malcolm, and the Forum of course.

Without being too nosey, Have you surfed the www.awm.gov.au site.? There's tons of Stuff, which can of course be expanded upon thro the Forum etc.

Pat

Robert

Because you raised the matter, I also have some extra pieces for the Jig Saw.

Thanks also to Dave & Malcolm, and the Forum of course.

Without being too nosey, Have you surfed the www.awm.gov.au site.? There's tons of Stuff, which can of course be expanded upon thro the Forum etc.

Pat

Pat,

What other pieces do you have relating to Polygone Wood and the Battle of Broodeinde Ridge (AIF 3rd Division, 10th Brigade, 37th, 38th, 39th and 40th Battallions) ? Just curious.

As for the tip re. www.awm.au. , I extensively surfed their site already, buth thanks anyway.

The Forum works great.

Regards,

Robert :rolleyes:

Malcolm,

Can you please e-mail me the text that comes with the picture relating to the battle of Polygone Wood ? I can not read it from the scan. Thanks so much.

Regards,

Robert ;)

Pat,

I addressed my last question to Malcolm by mistake, but it should have been sent to you; therefore:

Can you please e-mail me the text that comes with the picture relating to the battle of Polygone Wood ? I can not read it from the scan. Thanks so much.

Regards,

Robert

:rolleyes:

Robert

OK Will do.

As much in commemoration of the anniversary as anything else, here is one for Broodseinde. A tribute to Frank Berriman, Australian Machine Gunner, killed in Polygon Wood during the preliminaries to this battle.

post-14-1096845159.jpg

Robert

This way might be clearer. The 3 MAIN AIF battles of 3rd Ypres are covered by

A Menin Rd 20/9/17

B Polygon Wood 26/9/17

C Broodseinde 4/1017

Actual involvement may not have fitted neatly into those compartments. For example 'my man' was killed at Polygon Wood on 20/9, another relative at almost the identical spot on 4/10. Casualties amongst the Artillery were constant throughout the whole of 3rd Ypres.

Here is a Menin Rd 1

post-14-1096862782.jpg

• 1 month later...

Dear All,

I have been reading this thread with great fascination as it covers an area that I am interested in. Only problem the period I'm interested in is Oct-Nov 1914. 1st Ypres. My relative was in the 1st Scots Guards at Veldhoek. He died there on the 11th Nov. 14. Does anybody have maps from this period and this area. I'm a fairly new researcher and so far my attempts at finding a map with any detail on have been pretty miserable failures. Any help that you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Ian