Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fattyowls

In the second edition of the Wipers Times published on Saturday 26th February 1916 the regular column "People We Take Our Hats Off To" contains one entry; 9th Royal Sussex. In this they are in good company; in the following edition it was hats off to the French at Verdun. Now it might be that the editors just liked the cut of the 9th's jib but I suspect that it more to do with the action of the 14th February when Lt. McNair won his VC. I've been trying to find details of the action and it's location; I've seen Paul Reed's posting on McNair and have an arial photograph of the area taken in summer 1918 which is pockmarked with craters. Can anyone point me to the location and any more detail? Equally if anyone has the movements of the 12th Sherwood Foresters I would be very interested as I was wondering if they were involved in the aftermath of the action or just heard by word of mouth.

Incidentally the companion section "Things we'd like to know" was 1. Who discovered the Salient? 2. Why? I think there was also something about Christmas trees which we may never be able to explain.

Apologies if, as Fred Roberts and Jack Pearson might have said I am talking like a complete toper.

Hi Pete,

Nothing on Sherwood Foresters I'm afraid, but 9th Sussex went into the trenches near Hooge on the 11th Feb, couple of quiet days (lost two men), then on 13th heavy German bombardment for 8+ hours - lots of damage and 30 casualties, with men buried alive (7 killed). Heavy shelling continued on the 14th and then at 1745hrs the Germans exploded two mines. A number of men where thrown into the air by the explosions (including McNair) and were severely shaken, but NcNair regained himself and got MGs onto the craters rim to repulse the expected enemy attack following the blowing of the mines. Sure Paul Reed's site provides the other info to NcNair's actions contributing further to his award of his VC so I will not reiterate them here. One platoon of D Coy were completely buried alive when the mines went up (under 2nd Lt C D Hill) and there was no chance of rescue. On the 15th the Bn were relieved and returned to Ypres.

Casualties for 11th-15th Feb were 7 officers and 134 ORs

Hope this helps mate

Jim

Jamesy

Thanks for this; it's appreciated as always. I've spent a fruitless afternoon with the book containing the 1918 arial photo and various maps on screen and on paper trying to find the offending 'ole. There's certainly plenty to choose from. I'm going to have to bite the bullet, leave the heating off this winter and spend the pocket money on some trench software. I might even have change over to buy some books.......

Pete.

Sorry Pete, checked the WD and no sketch maps/trench maps I'm afraid. I did find a photo of a lad from my old home town who died during the bombardment of the 13th though. Naturally I'll keep my eyes/ears open regarding this incident and I'll let you know.

PS when you get to 1918 in the Times see if there is any mention of the poet Richard Aldington, he served with 9th Sussex at this time and may have contributed? Really must get a copy of WT myself, but you know how disciplined I am when it comes to buying GW books ....er ....

All the best

Jim

Re the Christmas Tree reference

Issue 1 Vol1 -1 has under 'Things We Want to Know'

The Celebrated Infantry officer who appears daily in the trenches disguised as a Xmas Tree.

This is continued in the 2nd edition (also under the Things We Want to Know banner)

3. Whether the "Christmas tree" expert mentioned last week is not likely to have a rival shortly.

In his book The Riddle of Wipers - An appreciation of the trench journal The Wiper Times (Pen & Sword) John Ivelaw-Chapman speculates that this may have been a comment on the amount of official kit - rapidly discarded by most - issued to officers on deployment making it possible to spot new rivals at the Salient because they were 'so hung about with accoutrements as to resemble a Christmas tree.' (He also relates this to his own experiences in Aden in 1955 - immediately identifiable as a 'Sprog in a War zone' - and gives that Robert Graves had used the Christmas Tree analogy when describing his own departure for the Front in 1914). Chapman's suggestion is that the officer concerned may have continued to carry unnecessary bits and pieces long after others had 'lost' theirs.

Chapman doesn't suggest it, but I wonder whether it could also be because of the amount of 'accessories' (in modern day parlance 'boys toys') this particular officer had either privately purchased (or been given) which he carried about his person daily to supplement his officially issued kit. It's also possible to speculate that the reference to 'celebrated' (& to his shortly arriving 'rival') doesn't refer to distinguished military careers, but cynically to men who had been well known on 'civvy street' before the war for other reasons (possibly the equivalent of todays' 'celebrities'?) who'd taken commissions, with the imminent departure for the front of the 'rival' having been reported by the popular press.

NigelS

Re the Christmas Tree reference....

Nigel

This is brilliant; thanks for posting it. I really thought that the whole Christmas Tree aspect would remain a mystery. I fear I may have to purchase the Riddle of Wipers; I like your theory too. I don't suppose the book says anything about the 9th Royal Sussex (if at all) beyond what Jim has posted above?

Pete.

... I don't suppose the book says anything about the 9th Royal Sussex (if at all) beyond what Jim has posted above?

Pete.

Not that I've noticed, unfortunately

NigelS