Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Alexander Richardson 68th Siege Battery RGA

Harry20

Looking for any help please with the above and of 190260 Alexander Richardson who died 26 October 1918 in particular.

Have been unable to trace service record or medal card for him - Iam trying to piece together whatever I can to help an elderly relative so any assistance would be most graciously received.

Have got his grave from CWGC (Roisle Cemetery Communal Extension) but been unable to trace service record or medal card for him - I am trying to piece together whatever I can to help an elderly relative so any assistance would be most graciously received.

In particular when he joined, where he was based for his training and details of any actions he may have been in, and the action which ended his life - I note from CWGC site that Roisel was retaken by the British in September 1918 an dthathe cemetery extension was developed during Sept/Oct 1917 by 41st, 48th, 53rd and 58th Casualty Clearing Stations - is he likley to have died in one of these and if so can it be narrowed down?

His medal card is on Ancestry BWM & Victory.

Gary

Name: Alexander Richardson Birth Place: Thornhill, Dumfries Residence: Blantyre, Lanark Death Date: 26 Oct 1918 Death Location: France & Flanders Enlistment Location: Hamilton, Lanark Rank: Gunner Regiment: Royal Garrison Artillery Number: 190260 Type of Casualty: Died Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

I found card on NA site straight away but not on ancestry - not uncommon sadly

Not much I know, but he may well have enjoyed performances by the battery's concert party, The Bang Boys, when off-duty out of the line.

Some information on this topic may be of interest:

Royal Garrison Artillery, 68th Siege Battery

The notation "died" in Soldiers Died in the Great War" usually means he did not die of wounds or killed in action. Died would have been from perhaps sickness,and the date in late 1918 may have meant possibly he died of flu as there was a pandemic sweeping the world at that time.

I was about to try to narrow down the four CCS onsite at Roisel for Oct 1918,as you write that CWGC notes these were in position there in Oct 1917,but in fact the Long Long Trail here gives them arriving there in Oct 1918, so we can't narrow it down ! You could try to get info from the four War Diaries of these CCSs,sometimes they show deaths on a particular day,sometimes not. They also had Admission and Discharge Registers but these have largely been destroyed. I will come back with some references on these items soon.

There are no Admission Registers surviving for any of the four CCSs you list.

Their War Diary refs are in the WO95 series at the National Archives But are not digital :

CCS41 and 48 -WO95/400

CCS 53 and 58 - WO95/501.

Not sure why you cannot find his MIC but try http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D4847283 . To find out where the battery was you would need to view the war diary for 89th Brigade which you can see at the Nat. Archives under WO 95/480. If this brigade is incorrect then I am sure someone will post and correct it.

For time of enlistment and his route to the 68th Sge Bty then you should view the records of 190345 (incorrectly given as 190545 on Ancestry) Romney, Thomas. He joined within days of Gnr. Richardson and also joined this battery.

Kevin

Hi Cowgate,

A long shot, but the CCS where Alexander died may be noted on his will (if he had written one). If you can get to the National Archives of Scotland at New Register House in Edinburgh, Scottish soldiers wills from WWI may be viewed there. (The index can be viewed online here , the wills are under reference SC70/8, but I'm afraid you'll need to go to the NAS in person to actually view the will.)

The reason why I mention this is that I was lucky enough to find a relative's will that stated the CCS where he died (previously, like yourself, I had a number to pick from!).

Best of luck

Steve