Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cut down SMLE No1 Mk III

Chester837

Found this for sale courtesy of a company Skipman posted the link to. I cannot believe there are so many No1 MkIII's knocking about over in the USA that they can afford to hack them apart to produce these!

http://www.militaryantiquesmuseum.com/military_antiques.php?step=20&searchunder=prodid&searchfor=7799

You'd think firing one of these in a confined space like a tunnel would bust yer eardrums an' blow yer eyeballs out!

Is there any substance to the story? I could believe a very few individuals might've experimentally modded SMLEs, but I've never seen anything like this before.

Regards,

MikB

There have been several threads on these cut down weapons - and there are some pictures of them knocking around (I think in "Beneath Flanders Fields" there is a diagram of one) although I agree MikB (consensus seemed to be that while a revolver or other pistol would have been preferable they were in short supply.....)

There have been thousands upon thousands of SMLEs imported into the US and in recent years lots of really tatty Indian used rifles (not all Ishapore made) - some of which have already been deactivated by drilling the chamber etc. They can usually be picked up for about $50.00 -75.00 on the retail market .... so a a few minutes work with a hacksaw and stick it on a board with some other bits and bobs -- pretty nice markup.

This is probably made from an Indian used rifle as it has a transverse screw through the fore-end (aka Ishapore Screw)

Chris

Edit just read the description and they too mention Beneath Flanders Fields

Edited by 4thGordons

Tatty Indian rifle or not, I think it's ashame to see them hacked apart like that. I have quite a few American friends and many of my wife's family live over there, I am definatley not 'anti american' but sometimes I just look at them and wonder what goes through their heads.

As far as using cut down SMLE's; why not just use a gun that has already been made with a short barrel ie a revolver? Must have been a right pain to re cock with no shoulder stock.

Tatty Indian rifle or not, I think it's ashame to see them hacked apart like that.

You will get no argument from me on that score

Quite a lot are also being "parted out" these days too.

It would be interesting to see the date on the rifle - India continued making SMLEs throughout WWII and up until the mid 60s and again in small batches late as the late 1980s -- so I wonder if it is even a great war period rifle?

Chris

Chris,

The blurb states that it is a 1916 manufacture date and the photo does seem to back that up. If it were a 1960's Ishapore made rifle I wouldn't be too fussed but it looks like they could be using pukka great war era rifles to butcher.

Something not quite right with the stock either, apart from the obvious lack of wood!

Ah right I actually didn't look at the individual one just the one displayed on a board with other memorabilia.

I am actually quite partial to Ishapore rifles of all vintages!

post-14525-0-59988300-1382314333_thumb.j

Chris

Good looking rifles!

Cut-down SMLEs certainly exist, and here is a photo of one, but alas I am not sure where it came from. As I recall, it has been discussed before and a consensus emerged that pistols were much more practical weapons for mine-gallery fighting and that as and when SMLEs were cut down, it was for use to propel or initiate some other improvised weapon to be used above ground.

post-11021-0-47010800-1382346857_thumb.j

weren't cut down SMLE's used in vehicles for firing grenade launchers? sure there is pictures knocking about of them in use in vickers armoured cars in the 20's? and essentially the breech of an SMLE used in firing toffee apple mortars?

weren't cut down SMLE's used in vehicles for firing grenade launchers? sure there is pictures knocking about of them in use in vickers armoured cars in the 20's? and essentially the breech of an SMLE used in firing toffee apple mortars?

Yes and yes.

The debate about the ones associated with tunneling is whether the rifles were used as weapons, or whether they were only used in a documented role as initiators in auxilliary firing circuits (where det cords are terminated in a wooden box filled with powder or cordite, initated by a rifle action firing a blank or de-bulleted round).

Found this for sale courtesy of a company Skipman posted the link to. I cannot believe there are so many No1 MkIII's knocking about over in the USA that they can afford to hack them apart to produce these!

http://www.militaryantiquesmuseum.com/military_antiques.php?step=20&searchunder=prodid&searchfor=7799

After the AK-47, the Lee-Enfield is the most-manufactured firearm on earth.