Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Discipline in Great War Collecting

Khaki

I have always admired the discipline of those collectors who can manage to devote themselves to one particular theme, badges, medals ,bayonets, buttons blades etc, but even amongst those disciplined people there are, as we know, even those of a more stronger character who collect in a single category, a regiment, a name, a manufacturer. How do they do it?, how do they steel themselves against a world of militaria temptations? Perhaps it evolved over the years.

I don't really think of myself as a collector, but I pick up the occasional thing that grabs my attention the only theme being the Great War. Even then if you 'shake the tree' hard enough a few pre and post war apples will fall from it.

Looking at the collections on 'Militaria Displayed, I am always 'blown away' by seeing a frame with thirty or more QSA's or Guards regiments badges.

Let me know your secret on how you arrived at your disciplined destination,

thanks

khaki

Khaki,

Glad to see that you now managed to collect along a valuable theme - rather than being a completist or military "rivet counter" you theme is clear and concise being "things I really like". That is often a really good way to go about collecting!

Thanks Martin,

I hadn't really thought of it that way, possibly the majority of collectors are of the same mind, maybe we should have a descriptive 'name' for that style of collecting too? What it would be I don't know. I am sure someone will have an answer or suggestion.

khaki

If it looks good, feels good, collect it,

I started years ago collecting Hat Badges, then my interest turned to bayonets, which I traded my badges for, then a switch to WW11 German medals/equipment then to Commonwealth medals, which i traded the German stuff for, now to WW1 medals/equipment/trench art, I only wish I had kept all the previous collections. I find it very hard to turn down a piece of history even if it does not fit in the current items being collected, I guess I could be categorized as one of the undisciplined ones??

Regards

Bob R.

Afraid I am the same as Bob R. Collect anything :blink: coins, badges,bayonets,model vehicles,militaria,ciggie cards, stopped collecting English postage stamps years ago, the only item I have ceased to collect successfully :thumbsup: Ralph

Honestly if it is a book I've been after it can be rather unpleasant, a blur and a smell of burnt rubber with the occasional old person knocked over. My interest is slightly different to most people it is how the GW was written up, and what triggered certain books, its also important to note that the GW has to be seen in the context of what happened before and after. Medals and stuff don't set my interest off like a book.

Really old books or documents are relatively easy, because of non acidic acidic rag paper. 20 Century books are another matter with foxing but you can get stuff to aid their "health", do a search. Leather binding, a very small amount of British Library food or similar. The main trick is to always test on a "test" book before using on a valuable book.

I just was in a shop where I had to walk away from a beautiful German bayonet with matched numbers on the scabbard and hilt...waaaay too rich for my blood. I am still weeping.

I collect what I like and, more importantly, what I can afford. :) I have no theme...

Daniel

Myself, my collection is pretty much all over the board. I have my WWII Canadian Cap badges, collars and metal titles collection. I have my WWII commonwealth medals, plus Canadian Tunics, kit and web gear.

More recently, I have returned to my roots of WWI medals. Primarily Canadian, but an example from each Commonwealth Country. My eventual goal is to have an example to each Canadian Bn, many will be at least a pair, but some only single BWM as their entitlement.

When I started collecting militaria a wise old collector gave me the following advice. 'When you start collecting militaria you will collect everything military you find. Then space to store your items will become a problem and you will end up with badges and medals'. And he was right

I'm trying to stop collecting anything but I can't really resist! I'm actually going through all the books and bits and pieces of stuff collected and offloading them. Have recently had to sort through a relative's (who was a bit of a hoarder) belongings to clear the house and it's made me realise what I'll be leaving behind for my offspring to dispose of. I'd hate them to be left with the problem of what to do with it. Not a great deal really but enough and I might use the cash ​to buy more stuff to fund a battlefield trip where I can buy more stuff

​Caryl

I'm in the middle of moving house because I don't have room in this one for all the books. Given the costs involved the collecting mania can't get much worse than that.

I'm in the middle of moving house because I don't have room in this one for all the books. Given the costs involved the collecting mania can't get much worse than that.

I had to take a 100 sq ft storage unit to empty my trench art from my last house so I could finish off doing it up and present it for sale. I've now bought a Victorian village school with a separate building (former canteen) that my collection now resides in, so keeping it (largely) out of the house to keep the wife sweet...

I had to take a 100 sq ft storage unit to empty my trench art from my last house so I could finish off doing it up and present it for sale. I've now bought a Victorian village school with a separate building (former canteen) that my collection now resides in, so keeping it (largely) out of the house to keep the wife sweet...

I know someone who was nearing the 10,000 mark in his collection and his wife said its me or the books. He now has over 10k!

Having just today reorganised the house so that she gets her study and I get my "war room" (no fighting in here gentlemen, this is the war room) I can no way comment on discipline. My criteria is basically if its a good price and I can afford it I'll probably add it to the pile, the only thing I'm not interested in is medals, unless its ancestor I believe they belong with the family, on public display or with a compassionate collector. Not mixed in with my junk!