Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Change in Regiment, Why ?

War13Memorial

I have the 3 medal group (Mons Star) of Driver William Walsby 60392 9th Brigade R.F.A.

I believe under the command of 7th (Meerut) Division of the Indian Army.

According to his M.I.C. from ancestry [the only record] at some time he was transferred to

the Labour Corps and issued a new Service No. 633947

Can someone please tell me the likely reason or causes that made these transfers happen.

Or the reason in this case. I believe the 9th was a Unit of Britain's Regular Army.

many thanks

Billy

Labour Corps transfers were usually because the man was no longer fully fit due to age, illness, wounds etc but was still able to serve.

Craig

Could be for any number of reasons, but mainly transferred to the Labour corps were due to being unfit for continued service in their parent corps due to injury, wounds, sickness but not severe enough to warrant discharge from the army.

Craig beat me to it! posted whilst I was typing.

Billy,

Just to add that he transferred to the Labour Corps in the period July to September 1918 (from "No Labour, No Battle").

Phil

thank you both for your responses, confirmation of my guesswork

Billy

This appears to be a common occurrence. But I wonder if there are any known examples of the opposite and an escape from the Labour Corps as it were, as I can`t imagine that it was much `fun` being in the labour corps. Not that being in the line would have been much better I imagine! But you know what I mean.