Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New book called Wounded (from the battlefield to blighty)

andrew pugh

I have my great grandmothers trunk that she used when she came over from Ireland if you need something more substantial you are welcome to borrow it!

I agree, some comments he makes assumes prior knowledge in these areas and yet he is so good at treating the reader like a complete novice regarding the medical side (which applies to me) that I learned an awful lot from it. I am prepared to overlook the more tedious little bits because the passage of time has meant a different readership now from those it was possibly intended for.

He also illustrates very well the civilian medical issues during and after the war that, prior to reading it, I hadn't considered.

I suspect there are several trunks (Late of N.Rhodesia) in the attic in Cromarty, thankyou, Marjorie!

H

I wish I had read the reviews on here before I purchased it.I have to concur with the consensus view.However it will make a raffle prize somewhere!

Sue Light has given an excellent review on Amazon. Unfortunately so have several seriously less knowledgeable people.

Keith

In some ways Keith, I think it's worth trying to look at the book from the perspective of someone who knows little or nothing about the Great War. On the plus side, I feel it has real literary quality, and as I put in the review, the author has actually written an excellent 'fictional' account. So despite the horror it evokes in those who know that factually it's not right at all, I can completely understand the good reviews. But of course such a great pity that it will lead many up entirely the wrong garden path, though when it comes to nurses and the medical services that's nothing new.

Sue

The book's had a considerable monstering on the Forum, not to mention some condemnation on Twitter, but for anyone who fancies a punt, it's 99p, yes, that's only 99p, as a Kindle download.

Went down as low as 49p at one stage, but now back up to £9.50 I notice!

What do you consider to be the best book on the subject?

Hazel

I have yet to find one 'best' book. It is a case of reading a number and compiling a body of evidence for an understanding. In fact the subject is so vast, that there is never going to be a best book, but some that do superbly covering certain aspects. It also depend on how deeply you want to go. Generally, though absolute amatuer, I try to find sources and draw my own conclusion. Mind you, memoirs written years later can not always be trusted. Just ask a barrister about how witnesses recall fact in court, geniunely believing what they are saying!

Get writing, Sue!

Bernard

ps will copy promised recs in the nex few days...

I have yet to find one 'best' book. It is a case of reading a number and compiling a body of evidence for an understanding. In fact the subject is so vast, that there is never going to be a best book, but some that do superbly covering certain aspects. It also depend on how deeply you want to go. Generally, though absolute amatuer, I try to find sources and draw my own conclusion. Mind you, memoirs written years later can not always be trusted. Just ask a barrister about how witnesses recall fact in court, geniunely believing what they are saying!

I do try to read as many books as i can on any one aspect of the war, but the reason I asked the question was because I know next to nothing on this topic and wanted some advice.

Hazel

• 3 months later...

If anyone is even tempted after Sue's comments, log onto Amazon and read what Peter Hart has to say. One of the main themes relates to a man he interviewed, and his comments make Sue Light's seem almost like praise.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Just been loaned this, not sure if I can bring myself to read it!

Michelle

Oh, go on, then we don't have to.

Just been loaned this, not sure if I can bring myself to read it!

I'd be very interested to know what you think of it Michelle - it might be just me who has a rather jaundiced view of it.

Sue

There appears to be a new copy for £1,339.09 but they do process and dispatch fast!

Amazon

TEW

• Admin

Oh, go on, then we don't have to.

:w00t:

• 5 weeks later...
  • Admin

I'd be very interested to know what you think of it Michelle - it might be just me who has a rather jaundiced view of it.

Sue

Well husband has just given it up not sure how far he got, he couldn't read any more..........

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

I was put off this book when I read on Facebook that the author has even misrepresented the contents of a memoir held at Imperial War Museum. If it had been a novel, fair enough (even Crimson Field dare I say) but not a book that purports to be a factual study. As an aside, just goes to show what national exposure you can get - even if it is the Daily Mail - if you are an eminent doctor or such like. I sent the blurb (written by Myles Dungan, an Irish historian, writer and broadcaster) of my book to a few of the National Press and didn't even get an acknowledgement let alone a review. Still, my book is only based on 61 letters, 89,000 words of a Military Chaplain's letters home Feb 1916-Aug 1917 when he was killed - nothing special from a nothing special author. Sniff! (But then it does cost a tad more than 99p.)