Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed for Cap badge ID

Ralphed

Can any one help with a cap badge ID? It's not the best pic in ever and i am trying to get the orig and see if i can get a better image.

Any help or ideas are welcome

post-55413-0-15752400-1382182229_thumb.j

Difficult to see this cap badge. Do you have a better full on picture of the badge and someone could identify it easier then, at the moment we are only seeing the lower half. Are these two the ones you are remembering on your thread or if not can you tell us who they were with? Regards. Mike

My first thought was KOYLI, but it could be either York and Lancs or Hampshires? Most of the badge appears to be covered by the top of his hat folding over--a clearer picture may make identification easier?

The chap on the left, as you look at the photo is a civilain, possibly a railway worker?

The picture we think is of George Chambers and his brother Thomas. If i have read the attestation papers on ancestry correctly for George he enlists into the Middx reg may 1916 at mill Hill and although his birth date is 1899 ( we think it's 1900 or 01) his mother tries to get him out of the army because he is under age. (I have seen the correspondence.)

She does not succeed compleatly as he is put in the Army reserves ( not sure where) and in 1918 he's in the 17th Btn Royal Scots and lands in France in feb of that year.

As for Thomas he's a couple of years older and i have found numerous MIC's for T Chambers on ancestry and the picture could be of him in uniform and the other is George. They are definately related but i cant tell who is the older.

That's why i was trying to get the badge id to see if it's Middx or Royal Scots or another reg altogether which could point to it being Thomas in the uniform.

I agree the other man could be a railway worker.

I'd go with K.O.Y.L.I. too. Certainly not Royal Scots or Middlesex - first being easily identifiable as 'Jocks' and second would have had a curved S/T 'MIDDLESEX'.

• Admin

I would say KOYLI as well

Michelle

Thanks to all for the replies and i am waiting to get the original to see if i can get a better image. The person sending them to me is a relative and she's sending me a whole load of other family photos that she does not know who they people in them are so i may come across another photo of the two men.

Reading through the attestation and service record papers I think i may have sussed it. George is put in the reserves because he is under age and it says as a class W.

Later on; still in the reserves he is with the KOSB before going to the Royal Scots on active service.

I think the cap badge is the lower half of the KOSB badge.

KOYLI is indeed a possibility; however this man appears not to be wearing any LI bugles on his epaulettes!

Although a practice not set in stone, it would be the general rule to have them on the uniform.

I've attached a picture to illustrate:.......post-102895-0-35365100-1382275805_thumb.

Reading through the attestation and service record papers I think i may have sussed it. George is put in the reserves because he is under age and it says as a class W.

Later on; still in the reserves he is with the KOSB before going to the Royal Scots on active service.

I think the cap badge is the lower half of the KOSB badge.

I doubt it if you've ever seen a KOSB badge as it would stick out a mile on a SD cap in that position, on top of which they wore either the Glengarry or Balmoral as head-dress.

I think that the badge depicted in the original photo is now undoubtedly KOYLI(see the photo posted by OMB)and as Graham has pointed, out it cannot possibly be a KOSB badge!! as there just ain't room for one--also wrong headgear for KOSB.

I suspect that the photo is of another family member--perhaps it may become clearer when you see the other family photos.

Robert

At first sight I thought it was South Wales Borderers with the top of the cap covering the upper part of the badge (note the angle) what do you think?

khaki

KOYLI is indeed a possibility; however this man appears not to be wearing any LI bugles on his epaulettes!

Although a practice not set in stone, it would be the general rule to have them on the uniform.

I've attached a picture to illustrate:.......attachicon.gifkoyli.png

almost a crippler, now I am in doubtful mode, going for a drinky!

Crikey! You can see what 'Grumpy' means!

Just cover the top part of the cap badge with the crown of his cap!

post-102895-0-36607800-1382379981_thumb.

Having looked at all these photos and studying my book of badges of the era, would agree more with the possibility of the KOYLI. I have a picture in the book showing the badge for the Forage cap and Puggaree, and this possibly indicates why the peak of this soft cap could turn over in the way it does on the first posted photo.

I've attached a picture to illustrate:.......attachicon.gifkoyli.png

If the photo is taken post 1921--which is possible, then the shoulder title was simply a straight KOYLI without the bugle--which looks pretty much like the photo-I'd say. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the replies. I am still waiting for the orig and other family pictures to arrive. when they do, hopefully i will have more information.

• 10 months later...

I may have had a little breakthrough with this.

On ancestry another person has the wedding cert for Thomas (1919) and it has his occupation as soldier and aged 23 and would suggest that he did serve in the war.

Going by what others have said that the badge could be KOYLI there is a Thomas Chambers 24221 in the MIC so the pic could be of thomas in uniform and george in civvy's.

Whats now confusing me is that on the card it also has a number 5731 MGC.

Did this Thomas chambers enlist in the KOYLI or MGC and then transfer to the other? The MGC number is the first on the card.

Any thoughts or help welcomed.

The cap badge in question is : KOYLI

Seph.