Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Vanity Ranks' like the Kaiser held - any more?

Tom Morgan

In 1901, the Kaiser was given the rank of Field Marshal in the British Army by his uncle, Edward VII. The Tsar received the same honorary rank, too.

But I think that some German princes, dukes, etc., were also honoured at various times by being made honorary Colonels-in-Chief of British Regiments. Does anyone know any details?

Tom

Belfast News-Letter - Friday 19 June 1896

" Baron Eckarstein, Attache to the German Embassy in London, on behalf of the Emperor, presented to the 1st Royal Dragoons, of which his Imperial Majesty is the honorary colonel-in-chief, a magnificent laurel wreath in commemoration of the anniversary of the battle of Waterloo. "

Daily Gazette for Middlesbrough - Thursday 26 April 1894

" The Emperor William is much more than the Generalissimo of the great German army. He is honorary colonel to no fewer than 17 regiments. He is likewise an admiral of the Danish and British navies. "

Mike

Not sure if these are exactly what you are after Tom, but interesting enough. A good trawl through the British Newspaper Archives will no doubt find more?

Western Times - Wednesday 25 May 1910

German Honour for Queen Mary. Berlin Tuesday

" Queen Mary has been appointed Honorary Colonel of the Fifth Pomerania Bleucher Hussars, succeeding King Edward-Reuter. "

Western Daily Press - Monday 09 March 1914

" One of the guests is to be Colonel Holzing, commanding the German regiment of which King George is the honorary colonel. "

Mike

Worked the other way Edward VII had an honourary rank in the German army. On one state visit he was supposed to descend from a train, to the strains of God Save the King dressed in his German uniform. The band played but Edward did not appear - he had lunched too well (and very often) since the original fitting and the buttons wouldn't do up. The band kept playing over and over whilst some hasty repositioning of buttons took place and eventually Edward, moving very slowly in case something popped, appeared

It's pretty common for foreign royalty to hold honorary colonelcies in British regiments. King of Norway was always Colonel in Chief of the Green Howards, by way of one example.

HM King Abdullah of Jordan is currently Col in C of the Light Dragoons and HM Queen Margrethe of Denmark does the honours for PWRR.

King Alfonso (the XIII ? ? ) of Spain was Col in C of a cavalry regiment in the early years of the 20th century, and turned up incorrectly dressed on one occasion with his Sam Browne cross strap over the left shoulder. All the officers rapidly changed, (this was in the days when the Sam Browne was made to take a full set of equipment with two cross straps) and retained the mode of dress as a tradition until whenever.

I can't remember the full details, but I have a recollection of reading about the Austrian Emperor writing to the Kings Dragoon Guards, a British regiment of which he was Colonel in Chief in 1914, regrettably relinquishing his appointment in the light of "current unfortunate circumstances" and expressing the hope that the connection could be resumed when happier times ensued. KDG wore the imperial double headed eagle as their cap badge, which apparently caused some interest when KDG's met Germans in a PoW situation.

I'm sure you'll get chapter and verse from better informed Forumistas.

I know that, Tsar Nichols II was made Admiral of the Fleet in 1908 as was as was Prince Heinrich of Prussia in 1910.

• Admin

They are listed in the front of the Army Lists. e.g. August 1914

Field Marshall His Imperial MAjesty Francis Joseph I Emporer of Austria and King h Hungary KG Col in Chief 1st Dragoon Guards

Field Marshall His Majesty William II German Emporer King of Prussia KG GCVO Coil in Chief 1st Dragoons

His Imperial Majesty Nicholas II Emporer of Russia KG Col in Chief 2nd Dragoons

General His Majesty Alfonso XIII King of Spain KG GCVO Col in Chief 16th Lancers

His Majesty Haakon VII King of Norway KG GCB GCVO Hon Col Norfolk Yeomanry

His Majesty Christian X King of Denmark KG GCB GCVO Col in Chief East Kent Regiment

By Nov 1916 the German and Austrian leaders had gone and Hon General His Majesty CHowfa Maha Vajiravudh King of Siam GCB GCVO was listed but without a regiment.

A number of foreign VIP's also received the top Knightood - The Order of the Garter......

Charles Edward, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha - Appointment annulled 1915... he later became a Nazi....

The Kaiser of course ... again annulled 1915.

Franz Joseph...Austrian Emperor.....annulled 1915

Prince Ernest Augustus, 3rd Duke of Cumberland and Teviotdale.... annulled 1915

Prince Henry of Prussia.... annulled 1915....younger brother of the Kaiser.

Ernest Louis, Grand Duke of Hesse......annulled 1915.... served a a General in the Kaisers Headquarters.

Etc. Etc.

The German Crown Prince was Colonel in Chief of the 11th Hussars (PAO). I wrote a piece for the museum website a couple of months (now sadly removed), but more details available if required - PM me if you're wanting them. He was extremely popular and a visit to (IIRC) Shorncliffe was a great day for all - he took part in a polo tournament.

The German Crown Prince was Colonel in Chief of the 11th Hussars (PAO). I wrote a piece for the museum website a couple of months (now sadly removed), but more details available if required - PM me if you're wanting them. He was extremely popular and a visit to (IIRC) Shorncliffe was a great day for all - he took part in a polo tournament.

A decent cove, pro-British, deserves to be well remembered.

• 3 months later...

Restored to his Glory:

post-88538-0-77690800-1390982198_thumb.j

post-88538-0-21621000-1390982505_thumb.j

I believe that the German regiment of which King George V wa the honorary colonel was the 8th Cuirassiers. As has already been pointed out, there were quite a lot of these mutual compliments paid before the war.

Incidentally Tsar Nicholas II presented 2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys) with a white bearskin cap with a red plume, to be worn by the kettle-drummer. Although the original has been retired to the museum at Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards still keep up the tradition.

Ron

Why is this thread apparently in the 'POWs in Australian archives' sub-forum?

Obviously just a minor quantum level shock wave in the fabric of reality, the tremor starting in Australia and possibly caused by a winning England cricket team causing random space time fluctuations in the structure of the forum. Seems to have settled back to normality again (possibly due to the position of he mens team in their match)..

King Albert of the Belgians was honorary colonel of the German 16th dragoner (one of the first regiments to invade Belgium :whistle: ) and also of the

Austro-Hungarian infantry regiment König der Belgier (this regiment apparently kept its name all through the war)

Carl