The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

8th battalion east Sussex Regiment

tjp28blue

Hello,

I am researching Private Charles Henry(Harry) Edwicker 33344 of the 8th Battalion East Surrey Regiment. He died of his wounds on 14th October 1917. I have some information that, from his service number, he did not enlist until around August 1917. This would have only given 5 or 6 weeks for training and shipment to the front line. Doesn't seem possible to me but perhaps my information is wrong. Grateful for any ESR expert opinion.

Many thanks

TJP

You might want to correct your thread title TJP. Had me confused.

Mandy

He might have served in a part-time role prior to enlistment. I too think that is too short a training period for a 19 year old. I have seen instances where training has been undertaken in these circumstances because the soldier was too young to fight at the front.

I note that he had an elder brother Ernest Herbert,21,who was in the Sussex Yeomanry in 1914,so a possibility that he served in a similar,if part-time,way ?

He enlisted on 22.9.1914,was wounded on 23.7.1918 and discharged on 23.2. 1919.

Hello,

Many thanks sotonmate for the information, I didn't know that he had a brother which is good news.

Apologies Mandy for the TJP, but I am a new member and have not yet learned all the terminology. What should I have used for my 'thread title'?

Regards

You've said 'East Sussex' in your thread title, but 'East Surrey' in your first post .... so the question is, which is it?

You've said 'East Sussex' in your thread title, but 'East Surrey' in your first post .... so the question is, which is it?

No such thing as the East Sussex Regt--so your question is answered--I believe?

Many apologies to everyone. Error made in the thread title in my enthusiasm to get my third post out. It should, of course, be the 8th Battalion East Surrey Regiment.

TJP

• Admin

There are many reasons, some of which have been listed above, as to why he was posted to the East Surrey Regiment in France, or just prior to being posted overseas at 19. It was common for soldiers to be 're-badged' on arrival at the Base Depot in France, often the mic may not show the original unit, alternatively (and most likely) he may have been posted to the Regiment in the UK from the Training Reserve or another training unit. See http://www.1914-1918.net/training_reserve.htm

There are many soldiers in the service records who were mobilised at 18 and a half(ish), trained and sent overseas around their 19th birthdate. The information you have is that he was allocated his East Surrey number in or around August 1917, not that he enlisted on that date.

For example Pte 35910 Bell transferred to the 3rd (Depot) Bn East Surrey Regt., Edinburgh 16th August 1917 and on arrival he would have been allocated his Regimental number.

Pte Bell was 'deemed to have enlisted' on the 15th February 1917 under the terms of the Military Service Act and was aged 18 years 5 months when he 'joined for duty' (was mobilised) on 23rd April 1917. Initially he was posted to the ASC (MT) Grove Park (No 315368), then to the 10th T.R. Bn (No 58693).

Eventually posted to Salonica in February 1918 (2nd Bn) his mic only shows 'East Surrey' yet he had been in the Army a year before qualifying for the campaign medals. Pte. Edwicker could have followed a similar path.

The 8th Bn war diary records a draft of 55 ORs were posted to the Bn on the 16th August 1917. It's speculative but he may have been in that draft if he joined the Regiment a few weeks earlier.

Ken

Ken,

Many thanks for your very informative reply, it is much appreciated. You have given me much to think about. I had also picked up that 55ORs were posted to the battalion in August 1917 and made the same speculation as your good self.

TJP