Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

D.C.M citation free download N/A

W.J.Caughey

Hello, just came across this free download and hopefully will be useful to some members who haven't excess to pay to view websites.

Seems to be listed with dates and not searchable by names but shouldn't be to difficult to trawl if you have some idea of entry date,

ie: 26th Oct 1914 -3rd July 1915, 290 pages, Victoria Cross citation as well. They are listed in Wo 391 Discovery National archives.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?_q=WO+391&_sd=yyyy&_ed=yyyy

Walter

post-64827-0-42282000-1382117583_thumb.j

post-64827-0-64794300-1382117892_thumb.j

Thanks for this find Walter

Harry

Thanks for posting this.

I have just downloaded the DCM Register covering a chap who received the award, for attending to the wounded and searching for missing men in no mans land, which was gazetted in March 1916. Unfortunately, I had no idea where and when the actual act had taken place, however some excellent Official had written this information under the gazette entry in the actual register! Another puzzle solved...

Cheers

Sepoy

Reference Sepoy's previous post.

What we now appear to have with the copies of the LG citations is a handwritten geographical location, sometimes down to trench level, which is of enormous help in plotting how the gallant action fitted into the battle.

What a pity that Walker & Buckland's Citations of the Distinguished Conduct Medal in the Great War 1914-1920 could not or did not incorporate this important information.

Still, we now have it, and we can transcribe the location into the Walker & Buckland entries, if we wish. Regimental Museums & Historians should be pleased about this.

(And now I can identify "Sideshow" DCMs!)

Harry

• Admin

Also availabe as free downloads are registers for the DSO 1866-1945 and the DSO and MC 1911-1982

Each volume is indexed and the MC register has a full card index which is extremely helpful if you don't have a date. Along with details on dates and locations of the action resulting in the awards, there is information on when it was presented and sometimes dates of death reported in the Times if it occured before the indexes were made.

Well Done Spoffers, this really helps blokes like me (in the middle of the Atlantic)!

Harry

Hello all,

I only have an iPad and I can't seem to download the free downloads for the Military Cross register, if anybody has downloaded the file could someone please look up a P. D. Desbrow for an MC in 1919 please?

Don

Graeme,

It's not that I can't find the link, it seems that my IPad 2 doesn't have the software to actually download the file, keeps saying safari cannot download this file.

I paid for 3 RAF combat reports that I can't download either!

Don

• Admin

Don

Here is the index card. The gazette only shows a list of names without citations. The first issue in June is generally an Honours Gazette similar to the New Year Honours.

Glen

post-32914-0-21565400-1382523028_thumb.j

Don

Will have to get back to you. Its massive and NOT searchable. I was just posting the card above and the LG

page.pdf

Got to go out but have downloaded Feb 1919 onwards so will have a look later,

Cheers,

Graeme

Morning Don,

As above, not all citation are listed. I have several for the same date and was disappointed not to be able to retrieve the citations.

The alphabetical listing is fine as I had a couple with initials only and found these.

Also, one man I thought only had an M.C. also had a Bar !!

Sorry I cannot be more help,

Regards,

Graeme