Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

801 MT Coy ASC War Diary

Gardenerbill

More on leave

11 men and 2 officers are recorded as going on leave between October 1917 and September 1918, only 4 men and 1 officer are recorded as returning. In most cases it is not possible to be definitive about the length of leave for the men, for instance, the first man to go on leave goes on the 31st October 1917 and the second on the 19th of February 1918, the first recorded as returning is on 1st of May 1918, this is probably the second man but it looks like the returns are not always being recorded. There is a man who goes on leave 3 days before Major Holland who is described as a Wheeler and a Wheeler returns 9 days after Major Holland, that’s nearly 10 weeks, so it looks like I was wrong about officers getting longer than the men. Two men go on leave to Salonika and there are 2 corresponding returns, these were for 42 days and 31 days. The diary records are not reliable enough to draw any definitive conclusions, but the length of time on leave may well reflect the fact that these men have not had any leave for nearly 2 years.

Second Doiran

On the 18th of September while the Greek Seres Division, alongside the 66th and 67th Brigades were going over the top at Doiran, the 801st were completing their move to Gramatna and Major Holland is not happy again:

‘Reported to H.Q. 16th Corps move completed with 16 lorry loads the last lorry’

‘having come in that morning. I was taken to task by A.A.M.G. for taking too’

‘long over the move, I pointed out that not only had I received no assistance’

‘but that they had commandeered 2 of my lorries during the movement &’

delayed me further. This will be the subject of a special note later.’

Doiran flanking attack

The Greek Crete Division attacked northeast of Lake Doiran with support from the 84th and 85th Brigades. There had been some initial success either side of the Lake but on the 19th forces north east of the lake began to withdraw to a new outpost line and the offensive west of the Lake, though more successful than a year and half earlier, failed to dislodge the Bulgarians again. (Source ‘Under the Devils Eye’ - Wakefield and Moody)

Now established at Gramatna the 801st are reduced to 2 lorries on company duty and 5 on detail and they are still repairing vehicles.

Bulgarian withdrawal

On the 20th of September, with the French, Serbians and Italians on the brink of a breakthrough in the west, the Bulgarian commander General Todorov orders the 1st army to withdraw East of the river Vardar. On the 21st the RAF reported seeing columns of the enemy withdrawing along the Vardar and Strumica valleys and infantry patrols reported that the Bulgarians had gone. This was the start of mobile warfare on the Salonika front.

Mobile warfare

Here is the page for the 18th to 24th September, I have posted the whole page for a couple of reasons; it starts at the end of the move to Gramatna which took 5 days and on the 23rd the next move to Vergetor which took just 1 day. 2 Privates are made acting Corporals and sent to Corps advanced H.Q.s to help look after cars. One is Pte Booth but the other name I am struggling with it appears twice on the third line of the entry for the 21st and the second line of the entry for the 22nd. Looks like Pte Huy or They any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

post-91681-0-68453800-1394048830_thumb.j

May looks good not sure why I didn't think of that!

Found MICs on National Archives searching for Acting Corporal May Army Service Corps with an M prefix Regimental number a Thomas and a Robert

Return to Kosturino

On the 25th of September 1918 the Derbyshire Yeomanry reached Kosturino, 3 years after the 10th Division had fought the famous rearguard action there in the autumn of 1915.

Meanwhile the 801st are getting ready for their next move:

'Reported to A.Q.M.G. reduction of stores & equipment to 7 lorries & the water tank lorry, I was promised 4 lorries to assist in next movement.'

'Reported at C.H.Q. at 20.00 & received orders to move on 27th early 4 lorries to report on 26th to assist me in moving.'

'Ordered to proceed via Causica Karasouli Machucovo Bogorodica to Bogdanci & report there for further orders.'

Preparing to move

The diary entry for 26th September 1918 details the preparations for the move:

‘Loading for movement of unit, 4 Peerless lorries of 597 M.T. Coy reported at 17.00 & all the 8 lorries were loaded at 18.30. except some cook house & camp equipment left till the following morning.’

Moving through the old front line

The morning of the 27th September 1918 was a momentous day for the 801st as they crossed the old frontline on the road between Machukovo Bogorodica:

'Closed camp & marched at 06.00 & moved to Bogdanci by the route ordered no serious difficulty was encountered. Reported to C.H.Q. at Bogdanci at 12.15 and secured orders to move on to Cestovo & camp. Moved off at 13.15 but halted S.of Furka owing to news of a broken bridge. An officer was detailed to investigate & reported too difficult for lorries to cross the river bed. Diverted through Furka but 1 Kilo S of Furka store lorry broke through a bridge with one rear wheel delaying convoy 2 ½ hrs. Cestovo was reached at 20.30 & the lorries parked for the night except the 4 Peerless which returned to 597 Coy.'

I find it surprising that no mention is made of crossing the old front line. The route is also interesting ‘Causica Karasouli Machucovo Bogorodica to Bogdanci’ There is a direct route from Causica to Machukovo, going via Karasouli seems a long way around, I can only assume that the road (or more likely track) between Causica and Machukovo was impassable for lorries.

I found it easiest to follow this route on the Austrian Map 40-41

The route is also interesting ‘Causica Karasouli Machucovo Bogorodica to Bogdanci’ There is a direct route from Causica to Machukovo, going via Karasouli seems a long way around, I can only assume that the road (or more likely track) between Causica and Machukovo was impassable for lorries.

The road from Causica to Ardzan was/is quite a steep climb. Very likely impassable for trucks when unsurfaced, and especially if wet! The long way round is virtually flat all the way.

Adrian

September 28th

By the 28th the 16th Corps H.Q. is at Kosturino and the advance is past Strumica on the other side of the Kosturino pass (top right of the Austrian Map 40-41). There is evidence that supply lines have become stretched:

'Made temporary camp at Cestovo'

'Coy lorries Coy duty 1 later sent water to C.H.Q. Kosturino'

'A store of German or Bulgarian petrol was discovered at Cestovo and on the receipt of wires that 2 convoys were stuck up at Strumica 2 lorry loads were dispatched there.'

'Wired D.S.T. asking for arrangements for M.T. spares forwarded to railhead to be brought on by columns & delivered to Corps S.S.O. for collection by the unit.'

'Asked leave of A.Q.M.G. to visit base to accelerate spares from B.M.T.D. but this was not granted.'

Anyone got any suggestion for what S.S.O. might be an abbreviation of.'

September 29th 1918

On the 29th under mounting political pressure at home and with a rapidly deteriorating military position the Bulgarians sued for peace. My Grandfather said he saw a Staff car under a white flag with a General on board come past their camp at this time, which seems very plausible. Here is the entry for the 29th:

‘Coy lorries water duty 1. Retd From Kosturino 1 lorry returned from Strumica 1 failed to return up to M.N. Received orders to return to Strumica leaving at 04:30 & to make camp & open Workshops & stores 12:00 next day. 4 lorries to be detailed to assist in the movement. Up to M.N. their lorries did not arrive Workshops & stores closed 2 lorries & water lorry loaded by 20.00.’

Anyone got any ideas what M.N. might stand for?

Johnboy........ you've done it again! The letters actual look like lower case as well i.e. m.n. makes good sense as midnight.

Thank you.

Over the next 2 days the 801st move to Strumica:

30th September 1918

Moved off with Workshop & stores & 3 lorries at 04.45 the peerless lorry detailed having failed to appear. Missing lorry met near Kosturino arrived Strumica at 10.30 & made camp by 12.00 unloaded the 3 lorries & retaining the water lorry sent the other two back to Cestovo to bring on more stores & equipment. 1 lorry arrived from Cestovo at 17.30 & was unloaded this left 4 lorry loads at Cestovo to bring next day. In order to complete the a/c of this movement the diary continues into October

1st October 1918

1 lorry retd from Cestovo at 03.30 & second one was reported disabled with a broken spring near Kosturino. 2 lorries returned to Cestovo to complete removal & carrying 1st aid for the disabled lorry. All lorries back in camp at Strumica at 15.30 movement completed.

There then follows a detailed description of the problems of the moves covering 4 pages of the diary, here in full:

The movements of this unit as detailed in diary show a serious state of affairs as regards mobility. On taking over command in Nov/17 I found that we had not enough lorries to move our stores & equipment. D.S.T. inquired on 13/2/18 if we had notified Corps of our additional requirements & instructed us to do so. On 18/3/18 we advised 16 Corps H.Q. that an additional 7 lorries would be required & informed D.S.T> that we had done so the first movement being given by A.A.M.G. I immediately asked for additional vehicles & was refused & told to move as best I could. I then applied to the L.T.C. who stated that he would not help me. The movement completed I reported to C.H.Q. & was severely rebuked for having taken too long & having brought too much stuff i.e. 16 lorry loads. I replied that I had expected help & received none. I was then ordered to cut down my stores etc which I did cutting down to 10 lorry loads.

The second move from Gramatna to Vergetor was short & over good roads consequently I was able to make two journeys of 5 lorry loads each & complete the two stages in one day. Whilst at Vegetor I was deprived of 3 of my lorries & could get no redress. I was told to cut down further which I did reducing to 8 lorry loads including a water tank lorry. I then reported this to A.Q.M.G. as my minimum &asked for an officer to be sent to inspect my unit. This was declined as unnecessary A.Q.M.G. being satisfied with the reduction made.

The third move from Vegetor to Cestovo was performed with the aid of 4 lorries detailed from 597 M.T. Coy & consequently I was able to move in one journey the whole of my unit.

The fourth move Cestovo to Strumica was very badly carried out because whilst 3 lorries were still detached a fourth sent to Strumica failed to return in time for the move also the 4 lorries promised by 16 C.H.Q. did not come & in consequence the first stage of the move comprised workshop, stores & 3 lorries one of which was the water tank two were unloaded & returned twice & the missing lorry having been found made a journey. Also much inconvenience was caused on this move by the ration lorry breaking down & leaving the Coy short of food for a time. The failure of XVI Corps to provide the 4 lorries promised upset all the arrangements for loading during the latter part of the time the L.T.O. was in Hospital & his place was taken by another officer which led to some confusion.

It is found a great disadvantage to move by stages as it works men for such long hours and also it is found difficult to arrange for satisfactory feeding & shelter of the men. We have spared no effort to keep the men fit by providing shelter from sun when working & by resting them as far as possible during the heat of the day under shade where practicable. Owing to irregular medical attendance it has been found necessary to bring in a stock of the common tabloid drugs & treat men in camp when sick only sending to Hospital serious cases. Various M.O.s have visited the camp at various times & on inspecting any sick men under treatment have expressed themselves as satisfied with methods & results obtained. Some points offer themselves for suggestions:

1. It is thought essential that a reasonable stock of spares should be carried in order to facilitate quick repairs & it is evident that the 7 lorries provided by Estabt are not sufficient to carry the necessary amount.

2. It is thought that there could be more co-ordination between C.H.Q. & D.S.T. in regard to this matter of mobility.

3. As C.H.Q. have not given the assistance that I required but have (to their own detriment) forced me to cut down my stores & spares it is thought That this is not in the best interest of the Service.

4. C.H.Q. by detaching lorries from the unit have injured its mobility & the mobilisation of other Coys lorries when available does not compensate entirely for it affects personnel as well as vehicles.

5. It is to be regretted that the absence of the L.T.O. (through illness) without a substitute being appointed has been it is thought detrimental to the Transport Service.

The sudden change from an army in defensive formation to a mobile army was found naturally to cause initial confusion but it is thought that with more co-ordination between services & more detailed written instructions given to O.Cs much trouble & misapprehension might have been avoided.

H.N. Holland Major A.S.C.

O.C. 801 M.T. Coy A.S.C.

16th Corps Troops Supply Column

Spanish Flu

In early October Spanish Flu breaks out in the camp.

1 Sgt & 1 Cpl reported sick. M.O. called in decided that Spanish flu had broken out & arranged for men to be treated in camp an isolation tent had already been provided, a small supply of drugs was obtained for their treatment.

Pte Ealey having been sick in camp for two days was sent by order of M.O. to the 78th Bde field ambulance.

After 7 days in hospital Pte Ealey is struck off strength.

There is a problem with acquiring spares and 2 new lorries are on their way:

Dispatched 2/Lt Allen to Janes to endeavour to trace M.T. spares

2 FWD lorries were being dispatched to 801 Coy for road patrol between Doiran & Strumica

Anyone know what FWD lorries are, surely not four wheel drive?

That's exactly what they were, both as a transmission system and as a manufacturer. FWD were an American company.

Keith

The next move.

On the 15th of October orders are received to move to Petric

Petric is on the Austrian map 41-41 in the Strumica valley. The Strumica is a tributary of the Struma that runs W to E and flows into the Struma N of the Rupel pass.

On the day the lorries are loaded for the move (17th) a wire comes through from C.H.Q. to move further to So Vrac.

So Vrac is further north on the river Bistrica another tributary of the Struma on the east side and can be found on the Austrian map 41-42.

The camp, workshop and stores are set up by 19.00. This is far into Bulgaria as the 801st would get.

Place names on this page

Another blurred page with a place name I am struggling with: 18th line 2 looks like Naranli, any ideas please. Other places Karasukoj, Dupnica and the Rupel pass are all on the Austrian map 41-42 and the 801st camp is still at So Vrac also on the 41-42. Note the lorry numbers of the FWDs are recorded.

post-91681-0-73849900-1395693989_thumb.j

Karasouli? It appears to be written either Kasouli or Vrasouli but the writing looks a bit rushed.

Keith

Keith,

thanks Karasouli is a definite possibility, this is the last reference to the FWDs my reading of it is that they are being returned to 779 M.T. Coy who could well have been based at Karasouli at that time.