Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

801 MT Coy ASC War Diary

Gardenerbill

I read the last line as:
To D.S.T. Got castings for ?bushes ?for/?from Heavy Rep. Shops for Decauville Tractor

"Causica" (pronounced Tsaousitsa)

Hi Yiannis (και με καθυστέρηση, καλώς ήρθατε στο φόρουμ!!)
If you'll permit me the observation: Your transcription is fine for Greek-speakers (i.e. where there's no distinction between /s/ and /sh/), but a simpler and more accurate faux-phonetic transcription for Anglophones might be something like "chowSHITza" (capitals merely to show that the stress is on the 2nd syllable!!).

It's Čaušica as written with the Czech spelling conventions used on the Austrian maps at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/topo/3felmeres.htm , where Č=ch, š=sh, c=ts. And Чаушица (I think?) in Bulgarian & Slavomacedonian.

In French sources (such as the SCS Smol map) it's "Tchaouchitza", and I've also seen "Tschauschiza" in German sources.

English speakers please note: "Corsica" is somewhere else entirely :)

Regards & χαιρετίσματα!

Adrian

More Decauville references on the 13th and 14th of September:

1 lorry to K70 with Decauville loco No 4.

1 lorry supplies to Decauville party K70.

Also was there a horse show on the 17th of September?

That line now makes sense, Mark. To DST Got castings for bushes for Heavy Rep Shops for Decauville Tractor. means, to me, that one of 801's vehicles brought the castings back, from wherever DST is, for final machining in the Heavy Repair Shops where the Decauville loco is being repaired. The problem is, as you've said before, there are two hands on most entries, making it impossible to do a direct comparison with nearby writing.

Keith

English speakers please note: "Corsica" is somewhere else entirely :)

Yet that was indeed what some British units must have called it as that's precisely what's written in the Diary. Then again, it's not that much worse than Ocean Villas for Auchon Villers is it? Tommy Atkins strikes again!

Keith

Thanks Adrian and Keith,

these last few posts show how helpful different sets of eyes can be. 'Heavy Rep. Shops' where the full stop denotes an abbreviation rather than end of sentence helps to make sense of it.

This entry dated 22nd of September suggests Derby Yeomanry have moved back to Kopriva:

1 lorry Rations. 3 lorries supplies to Derby Yeo KOPRIVA (2 trips) 1 lorry (1 trip) to KOPRIVA’.

A new officer is put in charge of the Decauville Locomotives at the railhead:

‘ 2/Lt A.E. Metcalfe Gibson A.S.C. to K70 O i/c Dec Locomotives’

Another Decauville reference on the 26th of September:

'1 lorry with Decauville Engine No5 to K70.'

Was the Decauville line along the Struma valley completed summer 1917, that would explain the transportation of the locomotives to the railhead at K70 for use on the new line.

The accepted abbreviation for et cetera is etc. I keep finding what looks like 'ect.' is that also an acceptable abbreviation for et cetera?

I think I have the answer to the 'ect' question: the writer often uses a sort of 'e' for an ampersand hence '&ct' another acceptable abbreviation for et cetera and it fits the context of use.

Into early October, Captain Patton and 2/Lt Metcalfe-Gibson are admitted to hospital, doesn't say what with.

A man is taken on from the Black Watch as a fitter.

Decauville locomotive number 6 is delivered to the railhead at K70.

In mid October Decauville Engine No7 delivered to railhead at K70

Captain Patton returns from hospital

The company is moving stores to K58 and forage to K70. A reference to Greek stores suggests that a Greek unit is camped at K58.

Company moves camp to K70

The first man goes on leave 12 months after the company is formed.

Into November

Winter clothing is being distributed.

2/Lt A.E. Metcalfe-Gibson A.S.C. is discharged from hospital

Greek units served with XVI Corps when they first entered the war, after the abdication of King Constantine in June 1917, so that reference is an understandable one. The Greeks had to be re-equipped with modern kit so it's quite likely that K56 was where those supplies were starting to be established at the time of recording in the Diary. According to Under The Devil's Eye, the Greek 1st Corps didn't take over any of the line for another year so there was clearly a lot of training on the new gear and tactics to be done.

Keith

That looks like one of the IWM pictures Q14695, I have found quite a few more:

Q15121, Q15122, Q15125, Q15132, Q15133, Q15142 & Q15147

If you put the number in the search box with a space between the Q and first number it takes you directly to the images.

In November 2/Lt C. Worsaw leaves the company, 2/Lt F.R. Allen and Lieut. N.J.D. Martyn report for duty.

Here is a picture of a Karrier Lorry after the war

post-91681-0-27787900-1388857002_thumb.j

On the 20th Nov Captain H.N. Holland takes over command of the company.

7 days after Capt Holland takes over command, Capt B.M. Patton A.S.C. is transferred to B.M.T.D.

The following entry implies that the company is now running the Decauville line along the Struma valley:

'6 tractors supplies to GUMUS DERE and KOPRIVA. '

Gumus Dere is at the northern end of the Decauville line about 2k on from Kopriva.

The 6 tractors I think refer to some of the locomotives previously mentioned in earlier posts numbers 3 to 7 delivered to the rail head at K70.

In December the 801st is taking supplies from Guvesne to K70 by lorry then along the Decauville line to Kopriva and Gumus Dere.

Then this entry '1 lorry LAHANA for charcoal to Corps cav.' is intriguing what were they using charcoal for?

And some more:

1 man returned from army school of cookery

1 man transferred to Base Labour Corps Depot,

1 man reported to D.S.T. Re special additional establishment for Ford tractors on Decauville Ry,

1 man reported for Decauville work from 287 A.T. Coy R.E.

Another alternative is for blacksmithing. Forges use charcoal to limit impurities infiltrating the hot metal and affecting its working properties and I'd expect a fair amount of metalworking at the various workshops but, in that case, why would they take it to Corps rather than the workshop direct? Wouldn't a workshop be allocated some transport of its own? I don't really see the need for charcoal for cooking, though it is a possibility. The advantage would be the lack of smoke but, against that, they'd be transporting the fuel in when there might well have been wood available nearby. Vegetation on the Doiran front was wiped clean by shelling but there was a lot less of that on the Struma side.

Filtration of water for drinking seems a distinct possibility. I believe there were purification tablets available but they left a tang behind so charcoal-filtered water would have been much appreciated.

Keith

Those are the lines I was thinking, but you have expanded on them. The forge is very credible. It crossed my mind if it could have been used as fuel for the locos. I dismissed this though,as it seems the first ref to charcoal and bearing in mind that the lorries were 3 tonners the actual amount would be small.

If the abbreviation 'cav' can be figured out it may give another clue.

It could be car but in the context that doesn't really make sense. If cav means cavalry could the charcoal be for smithing puproses i.e. horseshoes?

Also, what was in gas mask filters, could they have used charcoal?

In answer to my own question, there is a gas mask post in the equipment sub forum that lists the filter components as 'wood charcoal and soda lime'.

I read up on charcoal use yesterday and it is mentioned many times about gas masks. I wasn't sure if gas was used in this area?

Have you any idea what 'Corps cav' means?

As far as I know, gas was never used by either side at Salonika. The assumption was, naturally enough, that it could be and there are a number of references in the AA Diaries to people going on a gas course and gas drills being performed.after they'd returned but I've not come across any suggestion that respirators were exchanged at intervals. Assuming they were time-limited and exchanged, would servicing respirators have been a Corps function?

if the word is cav and it means cavalry then, again, I'm left wondering why the charcoal went to Corps. The Cavalry units, like all units using horses, would have had their own farriers so you could see them drawing charcoal from a stores dump but why Corps?

I must admit to being stuck with this one.

Keith