Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

World War 1 archaeology in Glamorgan and Monmouthshire

dimwitt

Dear all,

I am involved in a project aiming to assess the quantity and variety of archaeological remains relating to the First World War that exist in the old counties of Glamorgan and Monmouthshire. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has an insight into what we have or anyone who may have done any work in this area previously.

Examples of what I have already examined include the National Shell Factories (Cardiff, Newport, Swansea and Ebbw Vale), hospitals and drill halls. Essentially anything that would leave a physical trace (upstanding buildings, earthworks, ruins etc.) is of interest, rather than historical documents or information relating to features outside the counties.

Information of First World War military activity within the two counties appears to be rather thin at the present; plenty of information about local troops leaving and going overseas but little about the home front activities, military bases (other than pre-war barracks) coastal defences etc.

I would also be grateful if anyone has any insight into military activities around the industrial production centres in South Wales - I feel sure there must be some given the strategic nature of the resources and the pre-war history of political and industrial unrest in the region.

Thank you,

Johnny

PM sent.

Bernard