Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Angus Turner Seaforth Highlander

Turns88

I have been researching the WW1 history of my Grandfather Angus Turner Reg No 2294, D Company, 1/4 Seaforth Highlanders and have managed to track down some of his service records from Ancestry which is fantastic. He enlisted 22 Sept 1914 and was sent to France 5 Nov 2014. He was wounded sometime between 24 - 27 July 1916 at Highwood. I have read M M Haldanes History of the Fourth Battalion and found it to be a brilliant resource.

Unfortunately during the researching of my family history I discovered my Grandfathers resting place here in Christchurch NZ had not been looked after by his family. I had never met him nor did my father ever talk about him. My dad left home at a very early age due to the living conditions they were in. I now suspect that my Grandfather may have had alcohol issues probably a result of his service. I have had his resting place re-done and have arranged a proper serviceman headstone with his relevant details. I am organising my extended family to attend a small service where we will "unveil" the new headstone & plot. I will be reading information from my research including his time with the 1/4 Seaforths in France so that everyone can know what he did and what he saw.

So my question is................. I notice on some forums people have discussed their relatives Pension documents. Are these something which all servicemen would have had? If so where would I find Angus Turners? I have tried Ancestry but can't seem to find them.

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you

No sign of a pension record on Ancestry UK or in the PIN26 series at the National Archives. As he left the service as Category BII in the Labour Corps it might have been that he was assessed for a pension due to the GSW foot injury,but then again there is no ref to this on the service record,so he might have been rejected for a pension,say,on the grounds that he was fit enough to find work. His pre- war job is shown as a grocer and if he then returned to this work it may have been decided that a pension didn't apply.

If you have not seen it, his medal card is noted :- 489631 460 Agricultural Coy Labour Corps, with a date at the side of 29/11/17. No Silver War Badge entry that I can see. Ralph.

No ref to a Silver War Badge on his service record,shows demob on 26 Feb 1919 from the second of two Agricultural Companies,No 516,which served in the UK.

There seemed to be a deterioration in his condition as he was declared B1 in Aug 1917 and BII in Aug 1918.

The Western Front Association have recently acquired the Pension Cards and Ledgers.

They are not yet online, but for a fee they will do a manual search.

I just got my grandfather's earlier this week.

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/about-the-wfa/175-pension-records/2960-great-war-pension-record-cards-and-ledgers-deeper-understanding.html

Thank you all for your information much appreciated. What do the medical classifications B1 & B11 refer to? He did return to work as a Grocer and when he and his Wife emigrated to New Zealand he carried that trade on for a number of years.

Thanks Again

The optimum grade of fitness was A1. In Angus's case it is obvious that his foot wound inhibited his ability to take an effective place in the front line,so he was downgraded accordingly based on his effective mobility. There were A B and C grades of fitness,and I have seen regularly where a wounded soldier has returned to service but with duty in non-fighting units such as the Labour Corps.