Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Joseph Warrant Royal Field Artillery

Guest arkwright55

Guest arkwright55

I am trying to find the war service record of my grandfather Robert Joseph Warrant. I've only managed to find his medal record, and I seem to have hit a brick wall in trying to find any more information. His rank was Gunner and his regimental No. was 189688. He never talked about his war record, so no one in the family can shed any light on it. Any information in pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Dave

Hello Dave,

The good news is that your grandfathers Army pension records have survived. The first page of the records have got his middle name wrong. He is shown as Robert Charles Warrant, Gunner 189688. Further in to the papers it shows his correct middle name, Joseph. There are 11 pages and it includes his award of a pension, until 1920 and some details of his service in the RFA.

The bad news is that my eyes are playing up and I`m finding it very hard to read Roberts papers! Hopefully someone will have a quick look and give you (and me) a bit more information. I accessed them via "Ancestry" if you want to have a look yourself.

Welcome to the GWF, all the best. Joe.

Dave & Joe,

From the surviving Pension Record I can pass on the following:

June 1, 1918, Enlisted at Whitehall (having reached 18 years of age)

December 19, 1916, Called up (his number suggests to No.2 Depot RFA, Preston)

July 29. 1917, Posted to 6C Reserve Brigade and 52 Reserve Battery (Waterloo Barracks, Aldershot)

September 1, 1917. Posted to France

September 9, 1917, Joined No. 1 Section of 37th Divisional Ammunition Column from Base Depot

September 19. 1917, Posted to 124 Brigade RFA (February 11, 1918 to March 6, 1918, sent on a signalling course)

Felt pain in chest, shortness of breath, on carrying shells in trenches also knocking of knees and palpitations, so reported sick

July 19, 1918, Admitted to 48 Field Ambulance with DAH (Disorderly action of heart)

July 25, 1918, Admitted to No. 2 Canadian Hospital Le Treport

August 1, 1918, Evacuated to England on hospital ship "Essequibo"

Ended up at Royal Artillery and Tank Corps Command Depot, Catterick.

Dispersed December 28, 1918 and transferred to Class Z reserve January 25, 1919

Pension claim for DAH and Debility, 20% disability, when disability deemed under 20% a final pension amount is declared.

Guest arkwright55

Joe and David, thanks very much for your help, I didn't think of searching pension records! Joe, I don't think it's your eyes, just illegible! But David,you done a great job of translating! Cheers, gentlemen