Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen's Westminster Rifles

alantaylor2004@hotmail.com

I'm trying to find information on Private Richard Tebbutt 4066 16th London Regiment (Queen's Westminster Rifles).

He was Killed In Action on 1st July 1916 (first day of the Somme).

I think that he may have been in the Gommecourt area.

I do hope that there may be something in the war diaries giving some details of what went on with this regiment, not only on that fateful day but leading up to it and the aftermath.

I would appreciate any help that you may be able to give me.

Cheers,

Alan

I have the medals to pte 4056 LG Brett. This is a short version of the QWRs on 1/7/16. I'll check the book mentioned to see what company he was in later today.

ATB,

Lars

On the 30th June, only 9 men of 966 in the battalion had reported sick. They prepared to attack the next day, with orders to follow the London Rifle Brigade and the Queen Victoria Rifles, push through to occupy the third line trenches and attack the Quadrilateral, one of the most heavily defended positions in the german line on the right of Gommecourt. This day found Rifleman Brett in B Company, no 8 platoon (Information from Pro Patria Mori by Alan MacDonald, an excellent book on the 56th at Gommecourt).

The attack on Gommecourt was planned so that the 46th divison should attack on the left of Gommecourt village, the 56th on the right, to meet up behind the german stronghold. All in a diversionary attack on the extreme left flank of the Somme Offensive. For the 46th, the attack was halted very soon after starting, with the battalions unable to continue in front of the strong german opposition. The 56th had more success initially, but was hampered by the german artillery barrage on No Mans land, which prevented supplies, messengers and reinforcements coming forward.

When the time came to leave the assembly trenches, the QWRs crossed No Mans Land with comparatively small casualties, but when they reached the German front line (Fern and Fever trenches) the wire was to a large extent uncut, and the trenches manned. The casualties began to mount. B company soon lost its CO, Captain Cockerill, who was severely wounded and died as a POW a few days later.

No trench bridges reached the german trenches, so the men had to jump down and climb up again to continue the advance. Once the objectives of the QVRs and the LRBs had been reached the casualties where higher still, and the german barrage behind and in front of them was heavy. Now their main task could be entered upon. B companys task was attacking the North side of the Quadrilateral, but the parties from different companies, even battalions were now intermingled. A small partyof QWRs under Lt Arthur, 1/5th Cheshires, actually reached the Quadrilateral, but had to withdraw after their bombs were exhausted. This was about 10.15 AM according to Henriques The War History of the Queens Westminster Rifles).

When the withdrawal was completed back to the british trenches at between 7 - 8.30 PM, 600 of the 750 QWRs that had attacked were killed, wounded or missing (Source: Henriques). Some rejoined (Middlebrook lists 503 casualties and cites the QWRs are one of the 32 battalions that suffered more than 500 casualties on July 1st, 1916).

Hi again,

I must thank you all for your contributions and help, its really nice to know that there are people willing to give their time and energy to help others.

Cheers,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Joining in this thread as it seems there are resources I do not have.

I am researching Pte 552863 Reginald Edward Hamblin (formerly #6112) 1/16 London Regt (Queen's Westminsters). He died (CWGC) 25 Aug 1918, his body is one of the missing.

According to the war diary battalion casualties that day were light - 10 OR wounded. Seems a bit odd for a chap to go missing on such a day - but 3 days later heavy casualties (25/28 - easy error to make reading poor handwriting?)

Is it possible to find out which company/platoon he was in? Or when he arrived at the front?

• 8 months later...
Guest Bricklewood

Joining in this thread as it seems there are resources I do not have.

I am researching Pte 552863 Reginald Edward Hamblin (formerly #6112) 1/16 London Regt (Queen's Westminsters). He died (CWGC) 25 Aug 1918, his body is one of the missing.

According to the war diary battalion casualties that day were light - 10 OR wounded. Seems a bit odd for a chap to go missing on such a day - but 3 days later heavy casualties (25/28 - easy error to make reading poor handwriting?)

Is it possible to find out which company/platoon he was in? Or when he arrived at the front?

I am researching the names on our Brightwalton War memorial do you have any more info on Reginald Hamblin. His relatives lived in Lilley Brightwalton from about 1871