Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Northamptonshire

creaton

Researching CSM/CQMS F S Webb 7107 kia 11/07/1917. He is on the Creaton Northants war memorial, and as Frank Stephen Webb is the first name on the Creaton roll of honour. He is in barracks in Northampton in 1911 Census aged 25, born Northampton. His photo appears in Northampton in the Great War, and he was at Mons.

I am unable to find a direct connection with Creaton - can anyone help?

Welcome to the forum.

I have had similar issues researching Ravensthorpe and West Haddon war memorials and have found the link to the villages can sometimes be very tenuous. A young man from Ravensthorpe had an aunt living in the village - presumably he was living with her for a spell before the war - he came from Rugby. Another married a local girl. You may find a link by walking round the grave yard in Creaton and looking at some of the family names (this method turned up trumps for me).

I have a couple of chaps from West Haddon who simply worked in the village - one on a farm and one as a gardener.

This is from the 1891 census. I think your Frank may well have lied about his age to get into the Northamptons - I found this out for a chap from West Haddon.

Name: Frank Steven Webb Age: 2 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889 Relation: Son Father's Name: Robert Walter Webb Gender: Male Where born: Northamptonshire, England Civil Parish: All Saints Ecclesiastical parish: All Saints Town: Northampton County/Island: Northamptonshire Country: England Registration District: Northampton Sub-registration District: All Saints Household Members: Name Age Robert Walter Webb 46 Rose Wade Webb 52 George William Webb 9 Robert Walton Webb 7 James Hanery Webb 5 Frank Steven Webb 2 Florence Emily Webb 5/12 Hannah Webb 47 Louisa Webb 16 Florence Webb 10

Or one of his close family members (maybe a sister?) married into a Creaton family.

You will probably find his name appearing on more than one memorial in Northamptonshire which may also give you a clue dependant on the location of the memorial.

I'll keep me eyes peeled for your chap.

Other forum members may be able to provide more - they're a resourceful bunch!

All the best,

Ant

The Official Casualty List of 16-8-1917 for his being posted as Missing (at the Battle of the Dunes on 10-7-1917) lists the place of his next of kin as Creaton. The listing is just that - a list. Places of next of kin were added from late 1916 and drawn from the man's service records.

There was an article in the Independent, but it does not link him to Creaton:

post-6536-0-54225600-1382029650_thumb.jp

I think the Captain writing the letter to his wife was Captain John Eric McDonald Pierson M.C. of "A" Company.

Steve.

Many thanks, Ant. I am now sure I have the right man. Just for the record, the last 3 Webbs in your list are another family mis-transcribed by Ancestry.

All the best

Stuart

On my floor!

(British Library Newspaper Section at Colindale has copies, if they are still open; and one paysite has them on its premium membership, though my copies are from Colindale + microfilm printer)

You probably have enough messages to PM me.

Steve.

Hello all,

I have just discovered that my great uncle L/cpl 16925 James Henry Meeks was killed in action on the 18th Aug 1916 , could any member help in anyway with any info on how he was killed or if anyone has the WD entry for that day.

Many thanks

Hi.

I am wondering if the man on the census entry you note is the same as Frank Stephen Webb.

I am not saying you are in-correct before I get corrected.

The person noted is as you say 25, Single, and a Lance- Cpl.

Looking through Freebmd Frank Stephen Webb married in Colchester R.D. in 1910

to Lily Alice Curtis born in Colchester R.D. and has 2 children with her in the Northampton R.D.

Harry S 1912, Eva E in 1913

Also Alan Clarke has an index of Northants Men from the N.I. here

http://www.familyhistorynorthants.co.uk/soldier%20index%20v%20to%20y.htm

Sandy

Sandy

Very interesting. The census entry ties up with tthe newspaper report in terms of 4th son etc,and the casualty list mentions Creaton. However, the newspaper mentions a wife in Southchurch, Southend, not a million miles from Colchester. Can you give me any more detail on Lily Curtis and her children and the Northampton connection?

Stuart

Hi Stuart. I can e-mail you some information although you could find it yourself if you wish.

Freebmd have the marriage in 1910 R.D. Colchester. There is another child born in the same

quarter of the marriage Phyllis Florence Webb also in Colchester.

Lily is staying with her brother in law George William and his family at 33 Compton Street.

He married Bertha Annie Turland at Bugbrooke on the 10th May 1903.

Robert the father had died by 1903 being buried at Billing Road Cemetery .

Sandy

Sandy

You had me worried ! I sorted out Lily and her daughter in the 1911 census. Webb either didn't tell the army he was married or there is an error. I still can't make a Creaton connection.

Thanks for your help

Stuart

Well I have just found the young son Harry buried in Billing Road Cemetery aged 21 mths in 1913

and the family was living at 31, Compton Street.

Maybe Steve can help with when he became a CSM seeing as he is our main helper with Northants Regiment.

Sandy