Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Citing Peter Hart on the French

centurion

Peter Hart (the living British military historian not the deceased Canadian military historian) has frequently expressed (often trenchantly) views on the failure of British historians to credit the French with their contribution, especially in the early years of the war. I've heard him do this on the platform (no not catching a train) and at the bar and dinner table. However I'd like to be able to cite him formally on this. Now he is a prolific author and I've a very full reading list to get through in a very short time so I'd like to be able to go to the best work of his for this. can any member (including Peter himself if he reads this) speed things up by pointing me at the most suitable publication for me to look at?

Thanks but I should have added - on the Western Front and it's his comments on the failure of other historians in this case rather than his pro (or anti) French sentiments I'm after.

Centurion

Peter is still a member of the forum but chooses not to post. Why not send him a PM?

Roger

Centurion

Peter is still a member of the forum but chooses not to post. Why not send him a PM?

Roger

I would do if his Forum name was Peter Hart rather than some variant thereof (which I can't locate)

His recent history of The Great War covers this.

There is appropriate emphasis given to the enormous effort made by the French, and the terrible loss they suffered, especially in the opening battles.

Phil (PJA)

You seem to be missing my issue ~ I'm looking for Pete's comments on other historians' viewpoint ~ I did say!