Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War-related museums

BereniceUK

I'll be visiting a major WW1 museum later this month which I only found out about while doing some research into the city I was thinking of visiting and as soon as I knew about it it was a no-brainer as to whether I went to that city. So what other museums devoted to, or that have displays about, the Great War are there?

Below are some photos from the Wisconsin Veterans Museum in Madison which I found to be very impressive, more than I'd expected before going in.

(Apologies if a similar thread already exists)

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

This 7.92mm Maxim Heavy machine gun, 1908 model, was captured in 1918 by Private Clayton Slack, 33rd Division.

Probably the Maxim in the background, that one's a Vickers

khaki

ps., excellent mannequin/displays, would be interesting to know how they create the mannequin for balance etc.

(k)

Well, there'll be the the various regimental museums which will have Great War stuff - for instance, all the north west England regiments have museums - Carlisle, Liverpool, Lancaster, Bury, Chester & Ashton-under-Lyne

A somewhat out of the way (for most members here) museum with a display is the Woodrow Wilson Museum in his birth town of Staunton, Virginia. It's only a smallish display - and one which manages an inaccuracy which grated on me when I visited. The display claimed 50,000 British casualties on the first day of the Somme - so, either greatly exaggerated if they intended to mean fatalities or greatly underestimated if they intended to mean all casualties, dead and wounded. Good museum and worth a visit if you're in the area - interesting bloke yer Woodrow Wilson.

Probably the Maxim in the background, that one's a Vickers

khaki

ps., excellent mannequin/displays, would be interesting to know how they create the mannequin for balance etc.

(k)

Oops, sorry.

The displays were superb, best I've ever seen.

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg