Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frank Tomlinson Medal card

megplews

Hi, my 90yrs old mother has asked me to find out more about her father's role in WW1... I have found his medal card which tells me he served with the Yorks Res, Kings Own yorks Light Infantry and the Machine Gun Corps..... could anyone tell me if its possible to learn more about his service.......Photo of my grandfather Frank Tomlinson........ Thank you...post-102423-0-40592800-1381937639_thumb.post-102423-0-94322200-1381937705_thumb.

It would help if you can add a bit more such as age,where born and lived,did he come out of the war safely and without lasting problems etc. As it is there is no evident service or pension record for him and the Medal Card you post is unlikely to lead you to the first Yorkshire unit he was in when he landed in a war zone as I don't think that the MGC put this info on their medal rolls.

Throw yourself on the mercy of the MGC Old Comrades Association for information they may have, I do know that they charge for a search, but as your mum is 90 (God Bless her), they MIGHT waive this fee. One can only ask. :thumbsup: Ralph.

My Mum sends her grateful thanks to you both for your replies.....her father Frank Tomlinson was born in Middlesbrough 1897.....he married there in 1916......on his marriage certificate it states he is a soldier living at The national schools, Gladstone St Gainsborough.....he survived the war and returned to Middlesbrough...were he owned ran 2 fish-shops and a newsagents, he died 1981 aged 84yrs......

Mum wants me to try the MGC Old Cromrades Asc (thank you) ....though she insists she must pay the charge......(bless her)..