Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Long Summer - 'After Mourning' Alan Bennett 1993

Simon_Fielding

Hi there - I'm fairly desperate to get hold of a copy of episode # 1 of the Alan Bennett narrated documentary on the 20s and 30s that dealt with the aftermath of the war? Broadcast by C4 in 1993. Payment available!!

Cheers

Simon

• 3 months later...
Guest petercurtin

Simon,

I have The Long Summer, which I recorded on VHS and subsequently copied to disc. If you contact me then I can send you the disc.

Peter

• 5 months later...

Good Morning

Like Simon, I would like to obtain the channel 4 series "The Long Summer". Very grateful for any info which could help me. I am unsure how to contact a Forum Member directly.

Very grateful for any info/advice.

Many Thanks

cairn,just click on the members name and you will see the button for contacting them on the right hand side of their page.good luck

Guest petercurtin

Happy to help, Cairn. I just sent you a message, requesting your postal address. The first episode discusses the aftermath of the Great War - not the remaining five episodes - but all six episodes are well worth watching. My great grandparents were worried sick about my great uncle in battle, beside themselves with worry when he went missing (on The Somme) and then almost literally died of broken hearts a few years later when his death was deduced (with no identified body ever found), though they were both only in their early 50s. The Long Summer is the only filmed documentary that I am aware of that outlines the search for emotional stability arising from the enormous collective grief arising from the deaths of so many. In other words, the physically wounded souls had varying degrees of emotional wounds that might never have been healed, but joined by the emotional wounds of the family and friends of those killed and wounded. The (Australian) drama mini-series, "1915", made about 30 years ago, focuses just on this aspect of the aftermath; there are no winners or heroes.

cairn,just click on the members name and you will see the button for contacting them on the right hand side of their page.good luck

Appreciate you help, thanks.

Happy to help, Cairn. I just sent you a message, requesting your postal address. The first episode discusses the aftermath of the Great War - not the remaining five episodes - but all six episodes are well worth watching. My great grandparents were worried sick about my great uncle in battle, beside themselves with worry when he went missing (on The Somme) and then almost literally died of broken hearts a few years later when his death was deduced (with no identified body ever found), though they were both only in their early 50s. The Long Summer is the only filmed documentary that I am aware of that outlines the search for emotional stability arising from the enormous collective grief arising from the deaths of so many. In other words, the physically wounded souls had varying degrees of emotional wounds that might never have been healed, but joined by the emotional wounds of the family and friends of those killed and wounded. The (Australian) drama mini-series, "1915", made about 30 years ago, focuses just on this aspect of the aftermath; there are no winners or heroes.

Thanks Peter. I remember watching the series back in '94, and was fascinated by the social aspects of Britain between the wars. I have replied to your message. Very much appreciate your time and help.