Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Green Howards Tunic

Tweed

It's WW2, whichever Green Howards battalion was in 5th Division (2nd? - no real idea). Can't say if it's genuine but you'd be ebtter off putting this on WW2 Talk - a Moderator will probably close this down toot sweet here as wrong war.

Out of interest, this is presumably (if real) the battalion in which Hedley Verity was serving when wounded (mortally) and captured.

Not a type of jacket worn in WW2 anyway; and that 5th Division badge sets my alarms ringing as to its authenticity.

Staffsyeoman its a screen printed badge 100% original check iwm on a 1941 dated jacket for italy ,iwas interested in knowing about actual battalions not an outright fake comment , this is not a forum i will be using thanks for your backward comment goodbye

The little madam!

Wish him luck as we wave him goodbye.......................

Well, I'll say it now... the jacket was a dud. Those 'battle patches' are a fakers charter - a well-known online auction site is awash with them. That 5th Division sign is too wide and the Y too small, and looks like the products of a well known south coast dealer who sold them as what they were - reproductions.

Do we think we just had someone try to use the forum as the Antiques Roadshow - use us for provenance for tat?

PS I can certainly check the IWM; the cataloguers for cloth are friends of mine....

Bloomin heck, must be the shortest lived membership ever :w00t: 6 hours 53 minutes. Do you think we will get to see the reverse of the `17th Lancers badge ? :whistle:

Do we think we just had someone try to use the forum as the Antiques Roadshow - use us for provenance for tat?

Bang on. It wouldn't be the first time!

And I bet he doesn't know who Hedley Verity was. :glare:

Im upset Tweed has left with all their piccies. I would have been great to see this infamous jacket.....

Is it a case that some people think that this Forum is a "Great" War Forum not realising that it is for the First World War only and not bothering to read any of the rules/regulations etc ????

May be the dates 1914 - 1918 (or 1919) should be added after title to make it clearer to the less informed?

Sepoy

As a complete ignoramus on WW2 jackets, even i could see it had "dodgy" written through it like a stick of rock.

Unless Hedley was wearing that "tunic" :whistle:

I suppose he could have added blood stains before he stuck it on eBay.

May be the dates 1914 - 1918 (or 1919) should be added after title to make it clearer to the less informed?

It's not as if the URL for every single GWF page contains 1914-1918... :thumbsup:

It's not as if the URL for every single GWF page contains 1914-1918... :thumbsup:

I understand this, but I had noticed a number of WW2 and other out of period posts appearing over the past few weeks. I just wonder how many people actually notice the URL or give any real thought to what we do here! It was just an idea.....

One such post was answered in great depth by numerous Forum Members and the poster basically said that they would take their inquiry elsewhere to get an answer! It had been answered correctly and in detail!

Either way, I just fear that over the next few years that we are going to get bombarded by out of period posts, with people trying to prove family links with the Great War, or those trying to create a provenance for items just about to go on ebay.

Sepoy

Hi,

This happened with the Tyneside Irish tunic a few months ago - for me a right wrong one, the patch was all wrong - the tunic was probably ok but not original TI.

Others thought different, and an original TI tunic would go for a lot more than an NF Service battalion one would, but the poster has never been back to my knowledge.

The photo of the Green Howards tunic look odd to me I don't collect uniforms postcards are my thing, but from nearly fifty years of collecting badges,. patches etc it did look odd.

regards

John

I understand this, but I had noticed a number of WW2 and other out of period posts appearing over the past few weeks. I just wonder how many people actually notice the URL or give any real thought to what we do here! It was just an idea.....

I agree, but the problem is anyone who has achieved the stage where they are able to post on this forum has already managed to miss quite a few less-than-subtle clues as to the period under discussion, leaving one wondering if even the most obvious clue/s would still be missed by a certain mind-set...

Friends, 'Mr' Tweed has now re-emerged on the British Military Badge Forum, where he said the following: (I am polishing hi syntax, as I see the thread about that jacket has now been deleted)

"I went on the WW1 forum where I was subjected to rudeness that a guest shouldn't be subjected to. People who reject such an important find are doing damage to history'.

I pointed out that (in one way or another) 1. I am a professional historian 2. I am working on a PhD as a military historian 3. Challenging dubious sources is the job of an historian 4. I reserve my position and align it with that of President Lyndon Johnson as regards ducks.

Strangely, the thread has vanished.

Friends, 'Mr' Tweed has now re-emerged on the British Military Badge Forum, where he said the following: (I am polishing hi syntax, as I see the thread about that jacket has now been deleted)

"I went on the WW1 forum where I was subjected to rudeness that a guest shouldn't be subjected to. People who reject such an important find are doing damage to history'.

I pointed out that (in one way or another) 1. I am a professional historian 2. I am working on a PhD as a military historian 3. Challenging dubious sources is the job of an historian 4. I reserve my position and align it with that of President Lyndon Johnson as regards ducks.

Strangely, the thread has vanished.

:w00t: Where should I send the cleaning bill for my monitor? I had just settled down to browse the forum, a glass of fine ale in my hand. Unfortunately I had just taken a mouthful when I read Staffsyeoman's post.... it took me ages to clean all the droplets off - whilst most I am sure originated from my mouth - I am fairly certain some made their way airborne via my nose....most unpleasant!

Classic. Wish I had seen the pictures now :w00t:

Chris

I thought we were jolly nice to him/her. Having seen the beastings some people of his/her ilk get, I reckon he/she got off lightly.