Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fred Fletcher 'killed in Africa' circa June 1915

Mark Hone

Out of the blue, someone has sent me a load of clippings from the local press in Radcliffe relating to Bury Grammar School old boys in the Great War. I am very grateful to the person involved. The selection contains much information of which I had been previously unaware and has opened several new lines of enquiry. One of these is an intriguing reference to Mr Fred Fletcher who 'has been killed in Africa'. The clipping is dated 12th June 1915. Mr. Fletcher was the son of a farmer, Daniel Fletcher, from Unsworth and took up a career in scientific agriculture. He was apparently Junior Professor of agriculture at Ghizeh College, egypt and Director of General Agriculture in the Bombay Presidency and Professor at Gordon Memorial College, Khartoum. Frustratingly, having detailed his academic achievements, the article gives no further information about the circumstances of his death. it is clearly regarded as war related as it appears in the weekly 'Heroes who have given their lives for their country' section. However, he does not appear on our school war memorial (which includes one non war related death) nor can I find him on CWGC or SDGW. Can anyone shed light on this mystery?

A probate record exists for him which gives his place and date of death, but not the circumstances.

Probate 1916

FLETCHER Frederick of Ruira near Nairobi British East Africa died 25 May 1915 Probate London 5 May to Frederick William Clay schoolmaster. Effects £1,586 17s 1d.

There's a Medal Index Card for #392 Private Frederick Fletcher, East African Mounted Rifles, entered theatre 4a (East Africa) on 8th August 1914 and entitled to the 1914/15 Star trio. Card records he was Discharged as Medically Unfit but with no date, could this be he?

I'll take a look in the EAMR history tonight to see if it adds anything.

Regards

Steve.

He was buried in Nairobi South Cemetery on 27 May 1915. In the transcription of his memorial inscription '5', for May, has been transcribed as '8', hence his date of death being incorrectly given as 25 August 1915.

http://www.eamemorials.co.uk/EAMemorials/KENYA/Nairobi%20South%20Cemetery/NairobiSouth281.htm

Out of the blue, someone has sent me a load of clippings from the local press in Radcliffe relating to Bury Grammar School old boys in the Great War. I am very grateful to the person involved. The selection contains much information of which I had been previously unaware and has opened several new lines of enquiry. One of these is an intriguing reference to Mr Fred Fletcher who 'has been killed in Africa'. The clipping is dated 12th June 1915. Mr. Fletcher was the son of a farmer, Daniel Fletcher, from Unsworth and took up a career in scientific agriculture. He was apparently Junior Professor of agriculture at Ghizeh College, egypt and Director of General Agriculture in the Bombay Presidency and Professor at Gordon Memorial College, Khartoum. Frustratingly, having detailed his academic achievements, the article gives no further information about the circumstances of his death. it is clearly regarded as war related as it appears in the weekly 'Heroes who have given their lives for their country' section. However, he does not appear on our school war memorial (which includes one non war related death) nor can I find him on CWGC or SDGW. Can anyone shed light on this mystery?

I would be a little cautious as the information is to some extent inaccurate. He appears in the 1905 India Book as the Deputy Director of Agriculture Bombay Presidency. In a number of works he is cited as being the man who introduced the cultivation of Soya Beans to India. In the New South Wales. Dept. of Agriculture. Entomologic. Report on parasitic and injurious insects he is reported as the Director of the Agricultural School in Egypt. This report also mentions the Gordon College in Khartoum which was financed by the Egyptian government but it is clear that Dr Fletcher was not there at that time. He had some international standing for research works on soil poisoning by growing unfortunate combinations of crops in close proximity. It is clear that he was not a young man even in 1908. There are references to a Dr Frederick Fletcher working on such issues in the 1880s.

I would say that he is almost certainly the man whose MIC Steve has unearthed. Many of the men who joined the East African Mounted Rifles were ex public school types who had settled in East Africa well before the war commenced, and many were in their 30's, 40's and possibly even older!! I don't believe that age was an issue in Africa at that time, it was simply a matter of joining the locally raised unit to fight the Germans, many of these men would have known each other both through work and socially.

For F.Fletcher the history simply records that he served with 'E' Squadron from 8/8/14 to 28/8/14, presumably the date on which he was discharged as medically unfit. It seems that he then died on 25th May, 1915, from natural causes? Because he had already been discharged his details would not show on the CWGC record, although he had qualified for a 1914/15 Star Trio during the period 8/8/14 to 28/8/14.

Judging by the information already posted he must have been well into his 50's when he died.

PS Just read the details attached to H.B.'s post which confirms he is the same man and that his age was 42--well done Harry :thumbsup:

In which case I would suggest the the man in the MIC buried in Nairobi and Dr, Frederick Fletcher ex of India and Egypt are two different men

If you read Mark's original posting it does seem that there are too many similarities including the address of Unsworth on the grave details. It could of course be that the Dr Fletcher whom you have unearthed may be a different man? as he does appear to be somewhat older.

Robert

The East African Standard of Saturday 5 June, 1915 under the heading: 'Death of Mr Fletcher - Serious Charge Fails - Accused Acquitted' gives a report into the circumstances of, and enquiry into, the death on the 25 May 1915 at Ruiru of Mr Frederick Fletcher, of Kyambu.

Briefly, Mr F H Bumpus a neighbour of the deceased and 'a well known and generally respected resident of the Kyambu district' was charged with murdering Fletcher. Bumpus was cycling to Ruiru station when he was dragged to the ground and found Fletcher kneeling over him holding a gun. In the course of a struggle Fletcher was twice shot, in the leg then the head. The report goes on to describe the aftermath and some detail that there had been animosity between the two in the past. The enquiry was held by the District Commissioner and Mr Bumpus was acquitted. No details are given of Fletcher's occupation or history other than he owned an estate in the area.

Copy of the article available if anybody wants to see it in its entirety.

Aled

Blimey, what a tangled web! It never ceases to amaze me what intriguing stories are unearthed by this sort of research. I was assuming that this might be another man missed off our war memorial (cf the thread on Boyce Ethelbert Minton) but it is now taking on shades of a 'White Mischief' type murder mystery. Thank you to all who have responded to this thread so far.

I would be very interested to see the full article, Aled.

If you read Mark's original posting it does seem that there are too many similarities including the address of Unsworth on the grave details. It could of course be that the Dr Fletcher whom you have unearthed may be a different man? as he does appear to be somewhat older.

Robert

Yes I did read the original posting and the career details in the press clipping match Dr Fletchers too closely. Possibly sloppy journalism in conflating two men with the same name from Unsworth

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Nothing further has emerged about this strange story. I will include a centenary posting about it on our school website/Twitter feed even though he is not one of our 'Roll of Honour'.