Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert birch Medal card

Pabloabadul 1

Interesting that a lot of the men in the 335?? number series with the Border Regiment who died appear to have been former Royal Garrison Artillery or Royal Field Artillery recruits. I make it 15 out of 22 members from the 11th Bn Honour Roll.

http://border-regiment.co.uk/index.php?title=Lonsdale_Battalion_Roll_of_Honour

Rgds

Tim D

So in your opinion do you think he will have a pension card with valuable information from the collection that are being indexed now on western front association. Also did every soldier get a pension card or was it just people who were injured?

thanks

I seem to recall reading that there are about 6 million pension cards?

As there were also about 6 million men who served, my guess is that everyone got one, even if the pension was only for a few months.

I stand to be corrected, (but I could also sit down and be corrected).

Regards

Ian

• 3 months later...
Hello there

I have thought long and hard about whether to apply for a pension card for Albert birch due to the centenary of ww1 coming up .We know he transferred to the labour corps after being in the border regiment which suggests an injury or disability picked up in the service.

I am unsure whether to apply on the grounds what definite information Would be included in a card for Albert birch for a downgrading in fitness if there were an address it would be very useful in conformation as the western front association's guide is very confusing and misleading. Furthermore did every soldier get a pension for example Albert birch if he was not injured but just transferred and nothing happened to him would he still get a pension card given to him.

If anybody could offer any advice on this I would be very interested.

C.b

I seem to recall reading that there are about 6 million pension cards?

As there were also about 6 million men who served, my guess is that everyone got one, even if the pension was only for a few months.

I stand to be corrected, (but I could also sit down and be corrected).

Regards

Ian

Paula,

I do not believe that every serviceman/dependant obtained or even applied for a pension.

There was an application process. Widows/orphans would usually be entitled.

Soldiers who were wounded or suffered sickness in service were entitled to apply. I'm sure not all applied - my gf was badly wounded in Nov 1914 and served abroad again after 18 months treatment.

I am not aware that he ever applied for a pension and he worked after he was discharged.

If Albert Birch was wounded/became sick he could have applied or he may not have bothered if he had no ongoing disability. If he did apply It would then be a decision for the Pension Ministry whether he received one.

In my opinion in the absence of his service record you would be taking a shot in the dark by requesting a search of the pension papers held by WFA.

Steve Y