Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Fire at Salonica during Great War

Guest Lindaand4boys

Guest Lindaand4boys

I have a postcard of my grandfather in his RASC uniform in Salonica during the Great War. On the back of the postcard he simply writes "After the fire". From the books I have read I believe this fire was a household fire, that spread. Does anyone know anything more about this?

It is fully covered in the two most recent books on the campaign - Alan Wakefield's "Under the Devil's Eye" is still in print and can be ordered using the Amazon link, or through inter-library loan. The old city suffered massive destruction, despite the efforts amongst others of the troops of the various allies to limit it.

Keith

Hi

There were 16 ASC men awarded Greek medals for the Great Fire,

3 received the Silver Medal of the Order of King George I, 1st Class

13 received the Medal of the Order of King George I, 2nd Class

These 16 are the only awards of this medal for WW1.

Peter

The fire began on Saturday, 18th August 1917 and it destroyed about a square mile of the town in only a few hours. The ASC played an important role in these events with their two new fire engines which had only very recently arrived there. The driver of one fire engine was at his post without sleep from 20.00 hrs on Saturday until 0600 hrs the following Tuesday. One engine was in action for 17 days and the other for 10. Some 80,000 people lost their homes.

Details from 'The Royal Army Service Corps – A history of transport & supply in the British Army' by Col R H Beadon, Vol.II

Guest Lindaand4boys

Hi Guys

Thank you so much for all the links and information. The Pictures and video have shown me, a lot about where my grandfather stayed for 3 years, and its not at all like I imagined. My Grandfather Reginald Baker he was a Shoeing Smith T4/212689 with the 29th Reserve Park also known as 270 Horse Transport Company ASC.

• 3 months later...

If you like reading fiction, I could recommend Victoria Heslop's "The Thread" which has the fire at the centre of the novel

Linda

• 3 years later...
On 10/16/2013 at 19:33, michaeldr said:

The ASC played an important role in these events with their two new fire engines which had only very recently arrived there. The driver of one fire engine was at his post without sleep from 20.00 hrs on Saturday until 0600 hrs the following Tuesday. One engine was in action for 17 days and the other for 10. Some 80,000 people lost their homes.

I wonder if that is one of the ASC fire engines seen here at c.5.26 into https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts8XPrISLdw

13 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

I wonder if that is one of the ASC fire engines seen here at c.5.26 into https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts8XPrISLdw

Yes, it is.

That film is a marvellous piece of history, but one should be aware that the shots of an undamaged city from 2:54 to 4:12 are of Monastir/Bitola, not Salonika.

Adrian

REPORT ON THE BURNING OF SALONIKA.

H.M.S. LATONA

21st August 1917.

Sir,

I have the honour to report that at 12.55 on the 18th August 1917, a fire was observed to have broken out in Salonika in the northern part of the town.  A northerly wing was blowing at the time which afterwards increased to a gale.

"LATONA" and "ST GEORGE" were directed to land fire parties without fire engines, and these parties immediately repaired to the scene of the fire arriving there before any of the military, except a few Greek police.

These parties did good work, in assisting the inhabitants to leave their houses and in endeavouring to retard and isolate the fire, an effort which was however rendered fruitless by the high wind which carried sparks and burning masses of timber to a great distance.

Small groups of soldiers and sailors of different nationalities now began to arrive, but being under no direction could only help by keeing the ever growing mob away from the burning houses.

A party of "Latona's and "St. George's men under Mr Thomas J. Worrell, Gunner of "Latona", saved the Town Hall, or Prefecture, whose roof had become ignited owing to a piece of flaming wooden roofing having blown on top of it.

The inhabitants of the burning houses all took their feather mattresses with them and when they became exhausted, dropped them in the roads, where the first spark that caught them ignited them and served to spread the fire like a train of gunpowder.  Further parties with demolition gear were sent by "Latona".

I landed about 1620 and taking charge of the British seamen parties endeavoured to check the fire at a fairly broad street, but although our efforts, combined with those of some French firemen, checked it to some extent in one region, it crossed the street both to the right and left of us so that our efforts were unavailing.

Lieutenant Commander Ernest A. Gardner, RNVR, was sent to the Gas and Electric light work to endeavour to get gas and electricity cut off, but although this was promised both were still flowing at0200 next day.

At 2000, seeing that the fire must burn to the sea, I visited Base headquarters and saw the British Base Commandant, who informed me that they were trying to ascertain who was assuming chief command of salvage operations.  British lorries were busy evacuating stores and papers.  The Greek Harbour Master was warned that all caiques etc should immediately leave the vicinity of the pier for safety, and all British tugs and one drifter were sent by PNTO and myself to help them.  They were eventually induced to leave.  P.N.T.O. also sent "WAVE" and two "K" Lighters to the White Tower Pier to evacuate people in case of a panic.

All Patrol Launches - except the Guard Boat - were sent out of harm's way to Mikra Bay, and all ships ordered to raise steam.  Torpedo Boats 18 and 29 were supplied with all available delivery hose and sent in near the White Tower to check the fire; Torpedo Boat 29 (Lieutenant Maxwell A.C Ritter. RN) placing herself particularly well for this purpose.  The P.N.T.O., Commodore Travers, RN, ret'rd, placed three water lighters along the front where they assisted with their hoses.

Meanwhile some thousands of refugees, wit their effects, were collecting near the White Tower, and as these effects would certainly carry the fire across the gap to the White Tower Restaurant and so onward, the British Army placed an enormous number of motor lorries at the service of the inhabitants to evacuate the and their effects in the Kalamaria direction.

I withdrew the British seaman parties from the fire about 2100, their numbers being insignificant compared with the troops, and because they could do no more good there.

About 2000 an order was received stating that the Chief of Staff of the French Army was in charge and that all units should report to him the number of men available.  I offered 120 men, but they were not called for.

About 0100 on the 19th August, a large lighter blazing fiercely and full of combustible material , broke loose and bore down on the British men-of-war, narrowly missing H.M.S. "Staunch", who towed away from its vicinity a boat load of terrified woman which it had fouled.  It passed within 10 yards of "LATONA", who put 2, 4.7" shot into it, and finally it was grappled by the tug "MOOSE" who just prevented it from fouling the French Hospital Ship "LAFAYETTE".  It finally sank.

A second similar lighter was grappled by H.M.S. "STAUNCH" (Lieut. Commander Edmond A.B. Stanley RN), and extinguished by her.  All caiques and ships got safely away.  "St Margaret of Scotland" shifted berth to avoid the flaming lighter, and later on "LATONA" shifted berth as a continual rain of sparks was falling and appeared dangerous.

At dawn a strong party was landed from "LATONA and "ST. GEORGE" to assist the inhabitants to pack their effects in the lorries.  About this time the wind veered somewhat, blowing the fire directly down towards the sea an thus arresting its south-easterly spread.

Some persons were caught during the night on the quay of the Avenue de la Victorsie unable owing to the fire, to go either way, and these were taken off in boats sent by "LATONA".

During the day of the 19th August the wind changed to the East and finally to the South-West, spreading the fire to the North-West of Venizolos Street, and gravely endangering the French G.H.Q., Custom House and quays.  A party under Lieutenant Robert W. Milburn, RNR, from "LATONA", assisted the P.N.T.O.'s men and the military in saving these buildings, using water pumped by a "K" lighter and two British Army fire engines, and destroying the wooden huts and removing casks in the vicinity.  I received the thanks of the French Senior Naval Officer for the work of this party.

Another party from "ST. GEORGE" and "LATONA" was landed by the request of the Military with fire engines to check the spread of the fire at the White Tower end, and these worked continuously, and with success, in concert with the Army, during the whole of the 19th August.

Foreseeing the need of a refuge for the homeless persons I suggested to M. Argyropoulos the use of the large empty emigrant ship "THEMISTOCLES"  for this purpose.  He approved of the proposal and a certain number of refugees are living on board her at present.

At 1500 on the 19th August General SARRAIL held a meeting at which his Chief of Staff, also Major General Rycroft, Captain Jobart of "REPUBLIQUE", M. Argyropoulos and myself, were present by invitation.  General Sarrail indicated that all homeless people must be evacuated from Salonika and requester Captain Jobart, the French Senior Naval Officer, and myself to make arrangements in concert with M. Argyropoulos for which sea transport would be required.

Vicyualling is done by the French and British Armies, and the French Navy, who have good facilities for making bread.  As a temporary expedient the refugees, who number about 60,000, are being put into camps and gradually sorted out, and in a few days, those who cannot be housed hereabouts will be evacuated.  They are rapidly finding accommodation, and it is not anticipated that the number to be evacuated by sea will be very large.  A further report will be sent as matters develop.

The fire is now extinguished to the South-East, and practically extinguished to the North-West.

A good deal of drunkenness and looting took place on the night of the 18th-19th August, in which, I am happy to say, no British sailors took part.

We have no casualties due to the fire.

I have the honour to be,

Sir,

Your obedient servant,

[indistinct signature]

Captain.

Senior Naval Officer,

Salonika.

I had forgotten about Usborne: his 'Blast & Counter Blast' has nearly fifteen pages devoted to the fire.

Among the incidents which he recalls; one of his officers saw a man trapped on an upper floor shoot himself in the head, watched by his hapless wife in the street below. She promptly fainted and the officer had just got her sorted out when another woman put a small baby into his arms and left never to return. The baby was eventually handed over to a reluctant local authority.

Usborne credits the DQMG General Rycroft with creating (in a couple of hours he says) a tented camp for ten or fifteen thousand refugees