Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Margaret Mayne, worked & died at Harwich Military Hospital

BereniceUK

Hello All .... as a P.S. to this thread:-

I've been in touch with a local Stoke historian in connection with this Mayne Memorial re my research on WW1 hospitals - in this case, Harwich. He has carried out research on the Memorial and this is still ongoing - he discovered that this Mayne Memorial was not on the War Memorials Trust and contacted them – it is now recorded with them.

The same gentleman was also instrumental in getting the Memorial placed on the ‘War Memorials at Risk Register’, which is maintained by the Imperial War Museum. Mr. Jon Goodwin (Stoke City Council Memorial Conservation Officer) knows about the aforementioned and has stated that a programme of historic building recording will be required before any demolition takes place ...... thus the future of any memorials (the Mayne Memorial included) will be determined before any demolition work on the site commences.

So ... fingers crossed :-) Anyway, all aforementioned contacts have been made possible via help given to me from you all. Many thanks Heather

• 1 year later...

Hi, if any one is still interested in Margaret Mayne WW1 nurse, I've just discovered this forum regarding her, she is my Great Great Aunt and her plaque has been moved to the North Staffs Hospital at Stoke. It is hung in the Atrium of the hospital, we drove down to Stoke Hosp to view this for ourselves and it is indeed her plaque which was hung in the chapel previous.

Hi, if any one is still interested in Margaret Mayne WW1 nurse, I've just discovered this forum regarding her, she is my Great Great Aunt and her plaque has been moved to the North Staffs Hospital at Stoke. It is hung in the Atrium of the hospital, we drove down to Stoke Hosp to view this for ourselves and it is indeed her plaque which was hung in the chapel previous.

JDE, 1) have you a photograph of Margaret and 2) do you know where she is buried ?

Hi Jim, unfortunately Margaret is 1 of a few of my "old" relatives I don't have any pics of, was hoping

maybe someone, somewhere would have but as yet haven't found one. She is buried at Colchester cemetery, she contacted meningitis from a patient in April 1917 & so was moved to Colchester Infectious Diseases Hosp where she died on the 20th April. I believe there are plans underway to have her grave looked after by the Army nurses - how far that has got I am unsure. I haven't got as far as to visit her grave yet so don't know the exact location in the cemetery.

Hope that helps.

There is a Medal Information Card to a Margaret L. Mayne as a member of the British Red Cross Society and Order of St. John. I wonder if this is her. My researches has not yet revealed a second name beginning with L. The silly thing is that if Margaret had served overseas as a V.A.D. and contracted the meningitis whilst serving there then came home to be nursed followed by death the Commonwealth War Grave Commission, under such circumstances, would likely care for her grave in perpetuity.

edit - Margaret L. Mayne was a clerk who appears to have dealt with prisoner's records so not her.