The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

bradford roll of honour - going online

BradfordWW1

That's great news be great if they could scan the "gallant heroes" card section after the fiasco of the asbestos in the library city

Ady

Library should be open again soon - not long to wait then will have wonderful dedicated archives facility - Friends of Bradford Archives and Local Studies FOBALS have been working hard to communicate researchers needs and council have been listening - watch this space :0)

Kathryn

It was up to 'J' a week ago :whistle::thumbsup: . It's a very useful online resource indeed so do you have any idea when the next upload is likely?

Regards

Steve

I was delighted to note that this information has become available. I have been trying to research 306456 Sergeant Harry Hodgson, 2/7th Battalion, West Riding Regiment (Duke of Wellington’s) who was killed in action on 27th March, 1918 and buried in the Pommier Communal Cemetery, France.

"Soldiers died in the Great War" recorded Harry as being born and enlisted in Bradford, but the CWGC records did not provide any family details, which made it impossible to find him in any of the census returns due to his common name. At least, I now know when he enlisted and where he lived.

Sepoy

NB What is the Bradford Library "gallant heroes" card section mentioned above by Ady?

I was delighted to note that this information has become available. I have been trying to research 306456 Sergeant Harry Hodgson, 2/7th Battalion, West Riding Regiment (Duke of Wellington’s) who was killed in action on 27th March, 1918 and buried in the Pommier Communal Cemetery, France.

"Soldiers died in the Great War" recorded Harry as being born and enlisted in Bradford, but the CWGC records did not provide any family details, which made it impossible to find him in any of the census returns due to his common name. At least, I now know when he enlisted and where he lived.

Sepoy

NB What is the Bradford Library "gallant heroes" card section mentioned above by Ady?

I believe that this is a card index of newspaper cuttings from the local newspaper--generally the Telegraph and Argus, which sometimes have photos attached.

The initial upload only went to H it was extended to J today not sure what timetable for completion is but you can set up an email alert for when the flickr album is updated.

Yes the newspaper index will be available again in december - I also believe they plan to upload digital images of some of the local papers. They will not be indexed but you will be able to browse.

First lets just focus on the roll of honour and congratulate the library for making it more widely available give them time to complete the task with the limited resources they have available

Here's the page with Harry Hodgson's entry on the Bradford Roll of Honour.

A general comment - only a relatively modest proportion of the killed are listed. For those who survived the war, the address given tends to be their address at the time of the compilation of the list, which often differs from their address when they joined up.

Keith

post-21979-0-14829700-1382551688_thumb.j

Our Gallant Heroes

yes - the T&A was then the Bradford Daily Telegraph. The card index is a fantastic tool and it will be great when it is viewable again. Here's a sample card.

Keith

Edit Whoops This one is from the Bradford Weekly Telegraph.

post-21979-0-26792800-1382552029_thumb.j

Yes the newspaper index will be available again in december - I also believe they plan to upload digital images of some of the local papers. They will not be indexed but you will be able to browse.

Thank you for all your response to my inquiry about Harry Hodgson. I will look forward to the upload of the local paper digital images and hope that there is a photo of Harry.

Sepoy

One other general warning about the ROH. The final compiler, (most appears to be in one hand), didn't have the benefit of a computer to sort all the entries into alpha order. Overall it is a fantastic job, but there are errors in the order, and when I went through the whole list a few years ago checking for particular addresses rather than names, I found one substantial chunk of error in which an alpha section restarted completely. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of it. It may become evident as the images are uploaded, but it can be worth checking forwards and back a few pages just in case.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Breaking news - roll of honour is now complete - also new Bradford local studies and archives library opened last week and is wonderful space we now have access to all the resources including the WW1 soldiers card catalogue - happy hunting :0)

Wonderful record. I found my man, 69522 Robert Jones DCM of the R.A.M.C. on the roll but as other posts have cautioned, the address listed is his post war address of 17 Fieldhead Street, Lister Hills. His DCM is shown here with a subsititute pair.

post-43036-0-71461400-1387533141_thumb.j

He was serving with 136th Field Ambulance Company, RAMC, attached Royal Field Artillery. His DCM is in the LG 26th March 1917; (likely action between 28th January and 18th February 1917 according to Williamson). The citation reads "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He repeatedly tended the wounded under very heavy fire. He has at all times set a fine example of courage and determination."

Can anyone visiting the library after Christmas to research the WW1 soldiers' card catalogue have a look, if possible, for any entry for Robert Jones DCM, please.

Tony

I'll probably be there sometime in mid to late January, but my trip back to God's Own County is not yet confirmed, so it anyone local is able to check?

Keith