Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The silent seven minutes - The Nek, an alleged myth debunked?

gilly100

While this has been a most interesting thread, and given what we know about this particular charge, I think that whether there was a perceived time delay or not, and I believe there was, it remains a moot point. Had there been no time delay I feel would have had no impact on the tragic result we know of that resulted from this ill fated charge. Which begs the question, why seek to denigrate Bean and or others that were there, or at least at Gallipoli on 7 August.

The talk by Wilson was given and he may as well pursue something else after what I have seen here.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Thank you, gentlemen.

Your help has been wonderful.

Ian, I visited Hill 60 and sat there weeping with the horror of what had gone on at that site, so far away from the main ridges where all the visitors do the ANZAC tour circuit. The olive trees and open farmland were just as my great grandfather described them, and it's obviously a place that few visitors go to. A farm tractor ploughed around me, burying the shrapnel and barbed wire that we'd seen on the surface just 24 hours earlier. I look forward to your next work.

More Marjorum, I cannot thank you enough for the tip about other articles. I was not aware of them, and I am now devouring them with the same enthusiasm of each new 'discovery' on this amazing personal journey. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I used to think of researchers like yourselves as pedantic old blokes who spend your days wading through dusty old papers and picking holes in every fine detail. In recent years, I've come to realise how important such work is, and I respect your diligence immensely. On top of that, I appreciate your generosity. You are so willing to share and inspire.

Now, I have some reading to do!

Kelly

Hi Kelly

Glad you got to Hill 60. An amazing area to quite easily walk compared to other parts of Anzac. So pleased to have had the use of the great Tom Kidd's records. He was a lion at Hill 60. Not rushing the Hill 60 work as the Brit accounts are lacking in comparison to others. Hoping to get back there later next year or one after. Damakjelik Bair just south of Hill 60 a great wander as well.

Good luck with your studies.

Ian(pedantic semi old bloke)

Kelly,

Your original impression of we amateur researchers would be concurred with by my wife, but possibly not quite so politely. Gilly is the pedantic 'young' bloke, I'm the archetypal pedantic old bloke, or as some would prefer, 'the old Light Horse bore'.

On the 7th August next year I, and some others, shall at 4.30 am be at The Nek, to give remembrance to the men of the 8th Light Horse Regiment who charged that morning one hundred years ago. At 4.46 am, just as dawn breaks and the sun begins to rise, I shall remember the brave men of the 10th Light Horse Regiment for their charge of the third line. 5.15 am shall mark the futile charge of the three Troops of the fourth line. They now all rest in peace up there on that sacred ground, we shall remember them.

Back in 2007 I found it hard to visualize the tragedy that had taken place at The Nek, it was cold before dawn, but everything was so still, peaceful and quiet, as the sun rose the beauty of the place seemed to belie that such carnage could have taken place there.

I am pleased that Ian, all other contributors, and myself, have been able to offer you useful information.

Jeff

Thanks Tim,

An unforgettable experience shared with good companions.

Jeff

Enjoy the next trip Jeff. Your work and knowledge on this event in our history at Gallipoli is unsurpassed. Many have gained from your knowledge and we are all wiser for it. That is exactly what it is all about at the end of the day.

Gilly

• 3 years later...

There you go. Resurrected for further thoughts and potential comment. I read through all the pages. Very interesting, although not sure if I have anything further to add. The resultant carnage would have been the same with or without the seven minutes or anything in between. Some of the forum members comments on the author's selective writing to bolster an argument bear resemblance to others of more recent times.

Ian