Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War office weekly casualty list 11th Sept.1917

hazelclark

Since I have become a bit better at this researching business, I think I have been making assumptions that may not be correct. I have a copy of the above list for 11th September.(Scotsman, I think) It says "Daily list of 7th Sept." Can anyone tell me when these casualties may actually have occurred?

Thanks,

Hazel

The easiest way to test this is post a few names of those listed on 7th Sept list as killed which can be checked against date of death on the War Graves records or others; or check yourself. Wounded [if they were still reporting wounded by that date .. or only officers?] may be rather older.

The easiest way to test this is post a few names of those listed on 7th Sept list as killed which can be checked against date of death on the War Graves records or others; or check yourself. Wounded [if they were still reporting wounded by that date .. or only officers?] may be rather older.

Thanks so much! Don't know why i didn't think of that!

Hazel

It will of course be interesting to know what you turn up. I have worked through casualty lists for 1914 and half 1915 but never later in the war, when the volume of casualties to record clearly presented practical problems for newspapers

It will of course be interesting to know what you turn up. I have worked through casualty lists for 1914 and half 1915 but never later in the war, when the volume of casualties to record clearly presented practical problems for newspapers

I checked seven people of the 8th Seaforth who are listed as killed as of the 11th Sept Casualty List. Six died on the 31st July and one on August 3rd,

so the Scotsman was reporting 5-6 weeks after the event. Turns out that I was correct in assuming that my grandfather was wounded on or about July 31st 1917. The reason I started to wonder, was that some families seemed to be checking newspaper casualty lists to find out about their people. Seems an awfully long time to find the fate of one's son or whatever.