Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stow Maries Airfield on Radio 5

Gardenerbill

Half asleep this morning listening to BBC Radio 5 my ears pricked up when they did a short interview with someone who I think was talking about Stow Maries Airfield? Anyone else hear it?

On Tv BBC Breakfast as well. Did not listen to closely but seems it is being opened up as a museum "the last Gret War Aerodrome"

It is a remarkable place because so little has changed since the airfield was vacated in 1919 and returned to agricultural use. The farmer changed very, very little; he used the buildings as he needed them, more or less as they stood. Most are in a state of disrepair but being carefully and very sympathetically restored.

Because the land was so wet during the winter months it was not used by the RAF during WW2 and escaped being altered / updated at that time, so it really is a piece of WW1 history.

Was a bit annoyed when I saw the piece on the lunchtime news... "Why haven't I heard of this? Why hasn't my key source of information (this place!) not had umpteen threads discussing this??"

On searching, there have been a fair few threads over the last four years, I just haven't spotted them... :wacko:

Looking good, and an extra £1.5m can't do any harm!

Now to plan a trip down there...

James

Hi

I was at Stow Maries last Saturday to give a talk (on Contact Patrols) to the Friends of Stow Maries Aerodrome (FOSMA), the last time I was there was June 2011, when I spoke to the local U3A aviation group, and it was hard to believe I was at the same venue so much work had been done by the volunteers. The old 'Airman's Dining Room' now had windows in, a cafe and shop and also a sitting area plus good toilet facilities as well as the 'lecture area'. Other buildings had been improved as well. They also have their Sopwith Pup replica and small Museum. It is all worth a visit. Also note it is a wonderful 'nature area' and has been on the BBC in that role as well recently.

Mike