Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Jack Warder 1st Battalion Essex Rgt

Raster Scanning

I have recently received a vast collection of papers relating to the Warder family from Walthamstow in London.

Included are letters home from Pte 15204 Simeon John (Jack) Warder who served initially in the 12th and later in the 1st Battalion Essex Rgt.

He was KIA on 20th October 1916 with 1st Battalion.

Hoping someone out there has access to the unit history and war diary so I can get an idea of the circumstances of his death.

Your time and effort would be highly appreciated as I am trying to archive the whole collection with as much info as possible on an Ancestry family tree.

Many thanks

John

Morning John

SDGW records DoW not KiA

post-10072-0-89909000-1381821910_thumb.j

Therefore he was possibly wounded during (or just after) an attack north of Gueudecourt on 12 October 1916. Westlake says

"Attacked north of village (12/10) - storming with Newfoundlanders a section of Hilt Trench. Some of the Essex reaching Grease Trench. Relieved and to Bernafay Wood (20/10)."

Regards,

Graeme

Thanks Graeme.

I was taking the info from the below document.

Hoping someone has the war diary.

Cheers

post-76-0-93565000-1381828509_thumb.jpg

Thanks, yes I saw that when doing a google search, interesting...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John

My grandfather was also one of those who transferred from the 1st Norfolk to the 1st Essex; I'm trying to find out when it was, does your collection of papers indicate that? My grandfather was Private 41951, Charles Patrick O'Riley (assumed name however). Ended up in the Scout Section, did not leave the Army until 1924, then disappeared in 1929, suffering shell shock. Was never heard of again.

David

Can't help with the war diary, but PM an email address and I'll send over a scan of the relevant pages from the regimental history. Not much about the 20th, but there is a description of the attack on the 12th.

ali

• 3 years later...
Guest Littlejonny
On 15/10/2013 at 08:07, Raster Scanning said:

I have recently received a vast collection of papers relating to the Warder family from Walthamstow in London.

Included are letters home from Pte 15204 Simeon John (Jack) Warder who served initially in the 12th and later in the 1st Battalion Essex Rgt.

He was KIA on 20th October 1916 with 1st Battalion.

Hoping someone out there has access to the unit history and war diary so I can get an idea of the circumstances of his death.

Your time and effort would be highly appreciated as I am trying to archive the whole collection with as much info as possible on an Ancestry family tree.

Many thanks

John

Hi

Im a member of the warder family, my mum is Jack Warders daughter, Jack warder snr son, I think.

i would be really interested in the info you have about our family please.

anything would be great as we have very little.

many thanks

Jon