Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ploegsteert Wood Museum

Beselare

The new museum at Ploegsteert (opposite L'Auberge restaurant) will open on 9th November at 4.00pm. I believe that 500 invitations have been sent out so it is probably best to keep clear of the opening ceremony. However, on 10th and 11th November, from 10am to 5pm, entrance is free. From then on the entrance fee will be €5 with a €1 deduction for groups of ten or more. If anyone happens to visit it on 10th or 11th, a review of their impression would be very welcome.

Bob

Phase II of the new museum is just across the street: the catacombs.

(Keep on dreaming, I know...)

Roel

Thanks Ploggy - seems a bit steep. When I go with a group of more than ten, then I am going to ask for a discount. They can always stare at me in disbelief.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly more than the museums I visited on my recent Normandy Battlefields Tour. For groups they averaged 3 Euros to 3-50 for the kids, teachers free. How much is old Jacques charging for Sanctuary Wood these days? I haven't taken a school group there for about 10 years. Does the new Ploegsteert Museum open on a Monday?

For your information Mark, the museum is open on Mondays. As far as reductions are concerned, it has been put to the 'committee' that there should be reductions for tour guides but no decision has been reached yet. There is definitely not a reduction for parties of four.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried to locate the new museum/visitor centre's website without success. Can anyone help with this or an e-mail address?

I'm wondering whether to visit the museum before or after I take the party on a battlefield walk from Prowse Point to the Christmas Truce sites. I would appreciate advice from anyone who has already visited the museum. I am familiar with the Ploegsteert Wood area itself.

• 3 years later...

Visited today - got a reduction to 4€ on the basis that 40% of it wasn't working. Can't say I was impressed - a couple of glaring errors (apparently we introduced conscription in 1915 and tanks in 1917} not a lot to see. The introductory sequence was okay (WW1 in 5 mins) though the seating was uncomfortable; the toing and froing of the various Divisions projected on a relief model of the area is a good idea, but difficult to follow as it moves so quickly at times (usually the times when there is something new to read on the associated text projection).National flags are used to indicate what I assume to be divisions - it would be nice if they were identified - and I remain unconvinced that the Irish tricolour is quite right for the times.

We won't be back in a hurry.