Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMHS Assaye - Look Ups

alantwo

The records I have only cover the period 30th July 1915 until 6th January 1916 and the Galipolli campaign within which the Leicester Regiment was not involved. You may like to start a new post in perhaps the 'Soldiers' section of the forum with a copy of the postcard and as much information as you have; I'm sure there will be an expert to help you.

His MIC is downloadable from the National Archives and Ancestry though the latter spells his first name incorrectly. It would appear that at some point he was promoted to Corporal.

Regards

Alan

• 2 months later...

Hi Alan

Would you be kind enough to look up James Hagan RIR Rfm 2355. B.W to chest Galipolli on 11/8/1915 to UK on 17/8/15. He was subsequently admitted to V.A Hospital, Torquay on 30/08/15 and discharged on 13/9/15

Many thanks

V

Hi Vintage

Your casualty doesn't appear in the records I have. HMHS Assaye was in Alexandria on 9th August and was next taking casualties from Gallipoli on 16th. I did check the 16th August but he would probably have already been evacuated by then. Hospital ships in the area just prior to the 11th August include Devanha, Dongola and Neuralia.

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan, appreciate your time to check this out. I therefore take it from your original message, there are no records available for these ships? If so, how very sad, as Irish records are so few and far between, including this man's service records.

There was a photograph of him published in a newspaper with a visit from King George & Queen Mary at his hospital besdside (at VA Torquay) sent to his wife by the newspaper, unfortunately, I do not know which newspaper which makes it all the more sad as I would very much like to track down a copy for his grandaughter now aged 89 yrs.

Might be worth trying the British Newspaper Library for that.

Hi Alan,

It would be much appreciated if you could check on the HMHS Assaye for my grandfather SGT Isaiah Guy 3351 5th Service battalion Connaught Rangers, He was wounded in Salonika 1916 not sure of the month, or the nature of his injuries.

Thank you

Keith

Hi Keith

The HMHS Assaye records only cover evacuations from Gallipoli between early August 1915 to the beginning of January 1916. The 5th (Service) Battalion Connaught Rangers were briefly on the Peninsular between the beginning of August and late September 1915 and within that time I did find 6 men from the Regiment who were evacuated on this ship, one of which is listed as '2nd' Battalion, but not your casualty. I checked the War Diary for that period but it is not surprising that he is not mentioned.

Regards

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,
I am hoping you might be able to find some information for me.
I am researching my Grandfather, Samuel(Sam)Taylor. service no: 10258. He was in the 9th Battalion West Yorkshire Regt.

He was wounded by a sniper 2 Sept 1915 at Suvla Bay.
He returned home to England 8 October 1915.

Thanking you in advance....

Ann

Hi Ann

Thanks for getting in touch. I haven't found your Grandfather in the HMHS Assaye records. Assaye was taking casualties on the 8th September and as the majority were Australian and New Zealand troops I assume it was stationed off ANZAC. I guess that if your grandfather was wounded on the 2nd he would have already been evacuated by another hospital ship. The War Diary entry for the 2nd September for the 32nd Infantry Brigade does mention a 'Certain amount of sniping during the day' which resulted in 9 wounded. The War Diary for the 9th West Yorkshire Regiment states on 2nd September 'Digging & general improvement of trenches, four men wounded by snipers'.

Regards

Alan

Thankyou very much for responding and for that information. Could you please advise on how to find out which ships were evacuating around that time ?

Thanks

Ann

Hi Ann

The only other hospital ship I can be fairly sure to place in the area is Dunluce Castle which arrived at Mudros on 29th August. Clearly there would have been other hospital ships. Perhaps contact seaJane and she may be able to help.

Regards

Alan

• 8 months later...

Hello
I am researching Pte Jesse Lawrence 3178 in the 6th Munster Fusiliers, who died on the HMHS Assaye on August 16th 1915. We are about to mark the 100th anniversary of his death. I would be most grateful for any information you can provide from the photographs of the records. Many thanks!

Sheridan

www.woottonbassettinthegreatwar.uk/jesse-lawrence/

Sheridan

The attached image below is the entry in the Admissions and Discharge Book, sorry it is slightly blurred but it reads:

Index No: 440

Regiment, Battalion or Company: 6RMF

Squadron, Battery or Company: (Blank)

Regimental Number: 3178

Surname, First Name or Initials: Lawrence, Pte J

Completed Years of Age: 29

Completed Years of Service: 1

Completed Months with the Field Force: 1 Week

Diseases: Gun Shot Wound Abdomen

Date of Admission: (16/8/15)

Discharge - by Death: Died 16/8/15, 2.30pm

Ward: B

Religion: C of E

Observations: 28

Regards

Alan

post-74297-0-20435300-1439215059_thumb.j

I would love to know what happened to my Grandfather after serving at Gallipoli in the August Offensive - Private William Hale 742, 'A' company, 5th Service Battalion (Pioneers), Royal Irish Regiment. The only other definite information I have is that he next served with the 2nd Battalion in northern France for two more years of the war before being invalided out in January, 1918. My family believe he came away from Gallipoli with dysentery, possibly back to blighty... and as his battalion went from Gallipoli to Salonika in September 1915, I'm guessing he was transferred to 2nd battalion after getting fit? I don't know how to go about searching hospital ships lists or how I could ever find out how he got to France from Gallipoli and what he did there... but I would love to know. I'm rather new at this research game. Thanks in advance for any advice.

kzvxrpl

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the Forum. Your Grandfather is not recorded within the HMHS Assaye records I have. The HMHS Assaye Admissions and Discharge Books only provide a snapshot of the many men who were evacuated on hospital ships from the Peninsular, but it was worth a look. The Battalion War Diary is available on Ancestry and although it does refer to casualties, they are not referred to by name. This is not unusual. For the interest of other Forum members there are some interesting diagrams for the construction of ‘proposed covered shelter on a hillside’ towards the end of the diary.

This excellent website may be of interest to you http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

I am hoping you might be able to check for my great-grandfather. I believe he was evacuated from ANZAC to HMHS Assaye on 27/08/15.

Horace Hamilton Dyason 3/243

NZ Medical Corp, Field Ambulance

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Will

Hi Will

Welcome to the Forum. The Admissions and Discharge Book has the spelling 'Dyson', but your Great Grandfathers entry is below:

Index No: (1103)

Regiment, Battalion or Company: NZMC

Squadron, Battery or Company: 1FA

Regimental Number: 3/243

Surname, First Name or Initials: Dyson, H.H.

Completed Years of Age: 23

Completed Years of Service: 1

Completed Months with the Field Force: 4 months

Diseases: Enteritis

Date of Admission: (27/8/15)

Ward: (D)

Religion: (C of E)

In this book a magenta cross appears next to Newfoundland, Australian and New Zealand troops.

Regards

Alan

post-74297-0-41594200-1440085845_thumb.j

Hi Will

I have found several mis-spelt names, and regimental numbers can be incorrectly entered as well. The latter can make it hard to trace the man concerned. However it is understandable given that the ships were likely to have shells falling nearby and the personnel fired at. Getting the casualties away safely and quickly was a higher priority than getting the name right. The ships crew, doctors, nurses and medical personnel did an amazing job considering the circumstances they were in.

Regards

Alan