Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMHS Assaye - Look Ups

alantwo

Hi Steve

There are quite a few men from 1/5th Bedfordshires in the Assaye records, but neither of the two men you are looking for are listed.  I checked both names and numbers just in case of transcription errors, sorry I couldn't be more help.

Regards

Alan

1 hour ago, alantwo said:

There are quite a few men from 1/5th Bedfordshires in the Assaye records

I imagine there would be - thanks very much for your time. Will have to pull it and collect the Beds data when I'm there next ... 

• 7 months later...

Hello Alan, 

I've found this thread very interesting and informative, so first off thanks for all this! My mother has been researching the service records of some of the family, and we've discovered that my great-grandfather was admitted to HMHS Assaye on 2nd January 1916. The records we have for William Lot Poore show him serving in the 5th (Service) Battalion of the Wiltshire Regiment, gaining the 1914-15 Star during his time in the Balkans in 1915, but having also served in France before that. At some point he also served in South Africa! We're interested to know where HMHS Assaye would have been at the start of 1916, as well as any additional details that the logs may have regarding William.

Poore, WL

Index of admission: 697

Service Number 14135

Admission date: 02/01/16

MH106/1936

Many thanks again, 

Steve P

Hello Steve

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the Forum. It looks as though you have much of William's admission details, but I can add he was in 'C' Company, aged 26 and he had completed 1 year of service. He had completed 5 months with the field force and given that 'C' Company arrived on the peninsular on the 17th July, it is about right. The reason for admission is NYD (not yet diagnosed) which suggests he was suffering from an illness rather than wounds. As you are aware William was admitted on the 2nd January and HMHS Assaye continued to admit casualties until the 4th, when it left for Alexandria, Egypt, arriving on the 9th. According to Westlake the 5th (Service) Battalion, The Duke of Edinburgh's (Wiltshire Regiment), were evacuated from the peninsular on 10th December but re-embarked on the 30th for Cape Helles and 'V' Beach where they remained until the 6th January. Other admissions to HMHS Assaye on the 2nd January include units such as 1/4th Royal Scots, 1/7th HLI, 1/5th KOSB and 1st Lancashire Fusiliers all of which were at Cape Helles, thus it suggests your casualty was picked up from there.

I wasn't able to locate a War Diary for the 5th Wiltshires for the time they were at Cape Helles. It is unlikely William would be named but it may give some background to their situation.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2013 at 18:03, alantwo said:

Steve

The Regiments are listed, I've copied the top of the page and the entry for Gerald above and it will give an idea of the information given.

Regards

Alan

Alan

Sincere apologies as I do not seem to have thanked you for your reply (must be old age :) )

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Alantwo 

Not sure if you are still helping but I found my wife's grandfather William Roberts a private 16191 who was taken sick 6/6/1916 and transferred to sick convoy on 18/6/1916. I think this was on H.M.A.T Ship Assaye.  No. desig of ward  H18.

Do you see any record of this?

Cheers

Hello Notgottaname

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Forum. The last admissions I have are for early January 1916 and the date you have given for your casualty is later in the year. I will check for you tomorrow,  but I think it is unlikely that I will have a record of him.

Regards

Alan

As per my post yesterday I do not have an entry for your casualty. I checked his name and both of his two Regimental Numbers 18543 or 16191.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Regards

Alan

• 6 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 06:43, pap said:

Please could you check Walter Smith Service number 2529 Army Cyclist Corps, died 6/1/1916 many thanks

pap

There is one casualty on board Assaye noted as having died that day and being buried at sea, but it's not the man you are looking for.

Regards

Alan

Would you please check for my Grandfather:

Pvt Arthur Slater, 351001, 1st/9th Btn. Manchester Regiment
Wounded Gallipoli 9-9-1915 
Admitted No 5 Canadian Stationary Hospital, Cairo 24-9-15

Thank You

Peter

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 11:30, PJS said:

Would you please check for my Grandfather:

Pvt Arthur Slater, 351001, 1st/9th Btn. Manchester Regiment
Wounded Gallipoli 9-9-1915 
Admitted No 5 Canadian Stationary Hospital, Cairo 24-9-15

Thank You

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for your post, sorry for the delay in coming back to you. I wasn't able to find Private Arthur Slater No.351001 in the Admission and Discharge Books. The number struck me as being rather high for this period thus I looked up the medal roll index and I wasn't able to find a man with that name and number. There is a Private Arthur Slater of the Manchester Regiment, later Notts and Derby Regiment, Nos.2672 and 205455. This Private Arthur Slater was of the 9th Manchester Regiment and was wounded on or around the date you mention as it is recorded in The Times digital archive on the 13th October 1915, page 3. The reports of those killed, died of wounds, missing and wounded etc., appear to take around four weeks to be reported in the newspaper. It may not be your man but it was the best fit I could find.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for our reply.  Yes, that is my grandfather; 2672 in the Manchesters and 205455 in the Sherwoods. His short service record has a few entries for him with a regimental number of 351001 (Conduct Sheets, W 3016 & Z.32) so I think he must have been renumbered sometime in 1917.  Anyway, in my haste I grabbed the wrong number. His number in 1915 was 2672 in the Manchesters.

I sincerely appreciate the trouble you went to and sorry for inadvertently pointing you in the wrong direction. 

Thanks Again

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alan,

please may I ask the favour of a lookup of the Assaye records.

My Grandfather C A Le Duc 93301 B/59 RFA arrived in Suvla Bay on August 8th 1915 and I am able to glean much information from the relevant War diaries.

However, Grandads service record shows he left Gallipoli on 26th Sept 1915 and was next Posted to 5C Reserve Brigade. This is long before his battery left Gallipoli. There is nothing on his service record or medical records to indicate a reason for his departure and I wonder if it could be that he was a victim of Dysentry or Enteric Fever and was therefore hospitalised out.

He was posted to France / Flanders over a year later where he saw action on many fronts and was awarded two MMs. 

I appreciate it’s a long shot but if a record exists for him on Assaye it would help to fill in the last remaining mystery of his service.

many thanks in anticipation

peter

Hi Peter good to hear from you again.

Your Grandfather does not appear in the records I have for Assaye. He also does not appear in The Times Digital Archive for the time which suggests, albeit it's not conclusive proof, that he was not wounded. As you will already be aware the War Diary for 59th Brigade RFA has a lot of men sick from about 12th September, pretty much every day until they left in December, my Grandfather being one of them, thus your assumption could be correct. Interesting to think that our forefathers may have bumped into each other perhaps in training or perhaps on the Haverford etc.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

Many thanks for checking.

It would be nice to think that they did indeed meet.

interestingly, whilst researching my other (Scottish) Grandfather it appears that both of them may well have been in the same areas / Battles as the same time.

kind regards

Peter

• 2 months later...

I came across this digitsed record the other day on FindmyPast. Maybe they have done others ?

S2_GBM_MH106_MH106-1940_0001.jpg.e25a657aa42334a6e76ceb1b3a120f9a.jpg

In fact checking on FMP ' ASSAYE' they seem to have loaded records from 1915-1918.

Edited by charlie962

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:38, charlie962 said:

I came across this digitsed record the other day on FindmyPast. Maybe they have done others ?

S2_GBM_MH106_MH106-1940_0001.jpg.e25a657aa42334a6e76ceb1b3a120f9a.jpg

In fact checking on FMP ' ASSAYE' they seem to have loaded records from 1915-1918.

Hi Charlie

Thanks for letting me know. I don't have Find My Past and I think it would be useful if you also posted the image perhaps within the Medical Forum. I notice the image is for the Admission and Discharge Book August 1916 which would fall outside the scope of this forum, I'm sure it would be helpful if it was made known to the wider forum that the books are available through to 1918. Obviously anyone like myself who doesn't have Find My Past, I'm happy to continue with look-ups for Gallipoli. I have incidentally, been back to Kew and also photographed MH 106/1919 and MH 106/1953, the latter covers Officers who were admitted during the Gallipoli campaign, some 334 names.

Alan

Alan,

Using FMP search for Keywords 'Assaye Medical Admission' and limiting to year 1915 I come up with 6156 hits. eg:

1361768072_AssayeHospAdmRegisters1915.JPG.ea3df4a5a79d488635e91fc824f88813.JPG

But even some of these will fall outside your thread scope being post 1915 (eg that one Avis 1915-18 seems to be 1918) or perhaps some Mespot items have also crept in. Not trying to steal your thunder and I do think people would still be well advised to check with yourself knowing how uncertain this sort of search can be!

Charlie

Hi Charlie

Yes I would have guessed there were about 6,000 names in the Admission and Discharge Books for Gallipoli and I've just added some 300 Officers! I think it would be useful for you to put something in the Medical Forum the more opportunities there are for us all to learn the better. Happy to help with the Gallipoli Campaign and keep the memory alive.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/12/2018 at 11:38, charlie962 said:

Nice find Charlie - I feel a month's subscription to FMP coming my way as a Xmas pressie (sad man that I am)

Quite surprising how some of the more obscure records are turning up in digitised collections now