Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/4th Welsh Rgt. MIC, Egypt 1915

jay dubaya

A new one on me... I'm currently researching a local man who landed in (3) Egypt on the 1st August 1915 with the Welsh Rgt, the 1/4th is the most likely for my man although I have no hard evidence that he was. Anyway, the MICs of other 1/4th and 1/5th Bn. that I've looked at all show (2b) Balkans. I have a diary from another local man who served in the 1/4th and kept a daily diary of the journey to Egypt and this ties in nicely when the battalion did reach Alexandria. So did my man stay in Egypt - he was later transferred to the RE and certainly during 1918 he was part of the L 0f C Signal Coy, Welsh Desert Mounted Corps in Palestine. His 15 Star is named to the RE so can I assume he was transferred in the later months of 1915 and is it likely that he served in Gallipoli? No service papers appear to have survived for this man so any comments and further imput would be much appreciated

cheers, Jon

...I do now Bob, cheers for that, it must be from another family member but alas no useful information that I didn't already know

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Does the MIC actually use the phrase "Welsh Desert Mounted Corps"? The well-known Desert Mounted Corps had an ANZAC Division, Australian Division, and Yeomanry Division, but I never heard of a significant Welsh contingent.

No, the MIC just states Welsh Rgt and later RE. The reference to the Welsh Desert Mounted Corps is written (as part of an address) on the reverse of a photo sent to his father

Jon

Ask at regiment museum at Brecon.

My grandfather died WW 2 in an obscure numbering of the Welsh regiment, had the museum scratching it's collective head.

Have we discussed mounted Welsh on another thread?