michaeldr Posted 14 October , 2013 Share Posted 14 October , 2013 (edited) Kiretch Tepe Gendarme Memorial and cemetery Kireçtepe Jandarma Aniti ve Mezarlığı The units whose fallen members are interred in this cemetery include not only Jandarma, but also Topçu (Artillery), Istihkam (Engineers) and Piyade (Infantry). None of those buried here has been identified and the exact number is unknown. It is thought that about 1,700 Turks died in the fighting here in early August 1915, including the commander of the Gelibolu Jandarma, Captain Kadri Bey. Regarding the fighting nearby at Kiretch Tepe on the 15th & 16th August 1915, Erickson* gives more specific details; “the Turks lost 3 officers and 315 men killed, 8 officers and 1,238 men wounded and 2 officers and 85 men missing.” [*quoting Çanakkale Cephesi Harekati (Haziran 1915-Ocak 1916)] The monument of shells was first erected very shortly after the burials were made in 1915. Prof. Haluk Oral, in his 'Gallipoli 1915 Through Turkish Eyes' informs that "This monument was built while the Battle of Gallipoli was still in progress. According to Cevat Abbas (Ģűrer) the monument was commissioned by Mehmet Arif (Ayici Arif)." Prof. Oral's book also reproduces the famous photograph of Mustafa Kemal striding past the monument and identifies the image as being taken from the front cover of the January 1916 issue of the magazine Harp Mecmuasi. The original monument was demolished in the 1950s. It was rebuilt in 1995/6 by the 116th Gendarme Private Education Regiment's commander Cafer Çağlayan. In September 2013 In 1915 NB: text edited to add detail of Mehmet Arif (Ayici Arif) Edited 14 October , 2013 by michaeldr Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
michaeldr Posted 14 October , 2013 Author Share Posted 14 October , 2013 The dedication inscription as seen in September 2013 the translation from Ottoman script into modern Turkish Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
michaeldr Posted 14 October , 2013 Author Share Posted 14 October , 2013 As far as I could tell, only one original grave inscription is legible today the rest have worn away with time and exposure and some plots are overgrown with shrubs Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now